Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vic Wooten's "Amazing Grace"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass2020, May 17, 2002.

1. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Can anybody play this???
    If so, give me the music.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Let your ears be your teacher.

May the force be with you...

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The harmonics you need are all between the third and fifth frets on the A, D and G strings. Suss 'em out yourself and brag to your friends about how easy it was!

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and then when you figure out the _rest_, you can show me ;)

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yes I can....no I won't.
    sorry, but I learned it by ear, so can you...its really not that hard at all....nothing like portrait of tracy(in terms of complexity of the harmonics)

and also,
    may the force be with you

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    this should be in recordings since its asking about a particular recording of him. Dont ya think?

btw, you didnt say please :D

7. actually cass, he's trying to learn how to play it, so off to General Instruction it goes.

don't get confused now!

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ah very good point dance hall clasherson....i cant believe i over looked that .

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Exactly.

Here's another clue. Some of the harmonics are not directly over a fret. Some are 1/3 of the way between 3 and 4, and some are 2/3 of the way between 3 and 4.

I figured it out by ear. If I can, then anyone can.

10. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    The coolest part of his version is the double harmanoics before the slap solo. That took me a while to get but it sure is fun to play. I haven't perfected the slap part though. Its more percussive in nature. Also, if you don't have "Victor Wooten at Bass Day 98" you need to get it. He actually plays it on the video but its not exactly like his transcription in BP. Good Luck..