1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vick - Society's Reaction?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm struck by society's reaction to the crimes of Michael Vick. Let me say first of all, that he has admitted guilt to very ugly incidents of animal cruelty that no one thinks is acceptable. What strikes me is that many have reacted with a vehemence that I haven't even seen used on acccused guards at Nazi death camps.

I cannot help but think that the reaction to Vick reflects a profound sense of love/hate that many people feel for athletes, especially African American ones. A Black athlete can be the object of much adulation but beneath it is always a certain level of jealousy and resentment. The fact that Black male athletes come from a social class that is disproportionately incarcerated and unemployed, and when employed usually has poor, low status jobs, means that the sight of a very rich, and successful young Black man is something of a disconnect for many people. The idea that a man who would normally be a janitor or a convict is a millionaire irks many, no matter how much they will never admit it.

The bottom line is that when one of these guys screws up, folks tend to pounce on it like a cat on a mouse. At a subconscious (or often very conscious) level, seeing someone like Vick get sent to prison is seen as setting the world right for those uncomfortable with a person like Vick's success.

I don't expect many of you to agree with me, but I did want to state how I see things.

2. First of all, and maybe I'm ignorant, but I fail to see how race comes into play for most people. Following that up, I think there is a segment of our society that feels those affluence (regardless of how they made it) get away with too much and don't appreciate what they have. I'm not saying I buy into this, just that it's an opinion I'm exposed to a bit.

I think people hate Vick for the same reasons they hate Paris Hilton. The celebration when they get in trouble is nearly identical.

Personally, I think (assuming he's guilty, regardless of the plea) that he should pay a fairly high price for the crimes. They are abhorrent. More importantly, I'd like to see this kind of public outrage at the thousands of non-athletes raping women each year. And the non-athlete murderers. And the repeat DUI/DWI clowns. And the child abusers, etc.

I'm as pissed as a lot of you. But if this is the bar we are setting for this offense, we have a lot of catching up to do in other crimes.

Sorry for the poor sentence construction and wording.

Mike

3. Michael Vick's actions were reprehensible. Period. No Excuse.

He was also just plain stupid because he didn't recognize reality.

The reality is ...
    America likes it's quarterbacks to be 6'2" or more.
    America likes it's quarterbacks to stand in the pocket, survey the field and then throw passes.
    America likes it's quarterbacks to have neat haircuts and big smiles.
    America gives bonus points if those quarterbacks happen to be Blond and Blue eyed.

... Michael Vick was none of these and because of that, he was behind the 8-ball way before any of this dogfighting stuff came out. ("Is he smart enough to run the WC offense?" "He has great Athletic talent but ...", "Those braids of his make him look like a gangsta." yada, yada, yada.)

That he (and his handlers) didn't know/realize any of this makes him stupid.

Cheese - you are a University Department Chair with a PhD, I am a Corporate Executive with 24 years of experience and we both know the deal. You wrote, "seeing someone like Vick get sent to prison is seen as setting the world right for those uncomfortable with a person like Vick's success."

Vick was "out of his place" way before the dogfighting thing jumped off. That he was ignorant enough to blow everything on some lowbrow shullbit like dogfighting is beyond the pale. That Brother (just like you and I) had a responsibility to do it better, keep his nose cleaner, and be more excellent than anyone else and he blew it.

I am upset with Vick because he let himself down.
    I am disappointed with him because he let us all down.

4. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Or, people like dogs more than people, and race plays little role.

If it was a white linebacker, the reaction would be the same.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can see the similarity to the resentment against Paris Hilton. What makes see race as factor with athletes is the fact that sports media is dominated by middle class or upper middle class white men, and most of the callers are white men, and the people they always seem to maddest at are black men who come from backgrounds that they really have no sort of connection to experientially.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1,000. I agree with your post 100%. Vick was absolutely clueless about who he was and what the pressures on him were.

7. AND he was clueless about what his responsibilities were.

A whole lot of people gave a whole lof of sweat, tears, and anguish for him to be in that position. (Look up the bios of people like James Harris and Joe Gilliam, and yes, Doug Williams, and Warren Moon.)

He vomited all over their legacies.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Iota, I'm glad you brought that up. Although I feel that there are sections of our society that were ready to hate him, but also others that took for him excessively too. You really show how he let down his own communtiy too.:(

9. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I just watched Real Sports this morning on which their was a story about this case... every other dog fighter on the show was white except for a bunch of guys in a basement who had a stolen non-pitbull, who was being kicked and beaten, before being attacked by a raised fight dog as practise...

All the other people on there, were white, it was a white man interviewed with anonimity, a white man shown on a training video, many white men, gathered around many different fighting pits.

In conclusion, it would seem that many, many people of all colours, have been arrested, tried and imprisoned for this act, and that it's somewhat "popular". The only difference with Michael Vick, is that he's famous, and if he didn't know that he would be hit with this scrutiny if found out for this illegal activity, then's he's more stupid than I thought.

I'm actually wondering if his fame will somewhat make his sentence lighter than the "regular guy" who is right now in jail for similar acts. Quote from CNN.com's story.... Vick said he would plead guilty to one count of "Conspiracy to Travel in Interstate Commerce in Aid of Unlawful Activities and to Sponsor a Dog in an Animal Fighting Venture" in a plea agreement filed at U.S. District Court in Richmond, Virginia.

The charge is punishable by up to five years in prison, a $250,000 fine, "full restitution, a special assessment and 3 years of supervised release," the plea deal said.

Federal prosecutors agreed to ask for the low end of the sentencing guidelines. End of quote...

I'm wondering if this last sentence would even be considered for the regular guy on the street, no matter what the colour of his skin. I'm wondering if a plea would even be an option. Is there anyone here who knows enough about law to answer that?

10. WHY am I not surprised some are turning this into a race issue????????

:rolleyes::rollno::scowl::eyebrow:

I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan to the core. I bleed black and gold. If Roethlisburger did this, I'd be wishing HIM dead just like Vick.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Vick is a stupid thug.
    I was happy to see him come to Atlanta, now I am happy to see him leave.
    Instead of taking responsibily for their own lives, some want to blame racism for everything, and see it even where it doesn't exist.

12. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Wow race card. Not posting.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Don Imus got fired for saying Nappy Headed Hos. I'm sure his race had nothing to do with it either.

14. DING DING DING DING!

Vick's situation is because he was STUPID. Not because his skin was any particular color.

Get over it.

Oh, and he SUCKED as a QB, and that had nothing to do with anything IotaNet posted. :spit: My favorite QB for years was Mike Vick's COUSIN, Aaron Brooks. I defended him even when it was blatantly obvious he was never going to be a winner. However, he was a far superior QB to Vick in EVERY WAY, but possessed almost the exact same set of qualities. The primary difference was that despite his lack of whatever critical skill he lacked to take his physical talents "to the next level", he also wasn't a complete thug and moron.

Vick would be reprehensible no matter what, including being a blue eyed blond with perfect teeth.

Stop playing that stupid race card - if you want to be taken as an equal ACT LIKE ONE.

:)

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    So race is not a component of the REACTION?

Thanks for clearing that up.
    :rolleyes:

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm getting shades of the Nation of Islam sports blog from that first post. Look them up, with views like that you'd probably agree with most of what they post.

I agree with one element of one of your points though. Athletes are loved and hated and most will build up a hero only to make him a pariah later, but race has no bearing in it. See Joe Namath and Suzy Kolber. The Guaranteed Win became an Old Alcoholic in about 30 seconds.

If Peyton Manning did this it would be just as reprehensible. Race has no bearing in disgusting acts.

Too quote Iotanet, if a 6'2" +, pocket-passing, blond headed with neatly trimmed hair, QB did this; I would find it just as disgusting.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And so would everyone else. It would be identical to the REACTION to Vick. They'd probably call that QB a hoodrat too.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Quick question... how many actual read the heading of the first post... and how many went into your usual kneejerk position, not reading it because you've heard it all before?

:meh:

19. Vewy Intewesting [​IMG]

20. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I did, and I just read it again to see if I had understood it wrong... and found that I disagree even more... I believe the OP, for me personally, and only me personally, to be more of a kneejerk reaction than some of the replies here...

If I had to guess, and maybe it's dangerous to do so, I'd guess that Vick's sentence will be less than the white, or black man, on the street would recieve.