Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vic's Fodera - Defective?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danksalot, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Has anybody else noticed that Victor Wooten's bass will not stay in tune? I mean, every time he plays a bass solo piece he ends up playing with one hand and tuning with the other. Isn't this a problem that normally happens on entry-level basses?

I tried to find a pic of him tuning and playing at the same time but I couldn't. Does anyone here have a pic of this?

2. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    maybe he beats it too hard...

3. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    have you ever seen victor live? with the flecktones? he solos while messing with the tuning knobs giving him a wierd effect. it's not that his bass goes out of tune, it's that he is a ridiculous master of his instrument.

4. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    What are you talking about?

I've seen vic solo many times & I've never witnessed what you are describing. I've seen him tune up occasionally but not to the point where he is playing with one hand & tuning with another. Thats just nonsense.

Also, how can you say that a fodera is an entry level bass? How is a $3000 bass entry level?

Am I missing something? Is this another BS thread & I'm just missing the sarcasm?

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I don't think he's calling the Fodera an entry level bass, I think he's just saying that it's the type of thing that would happen with an entry level bass:)

6. i've heard that he detunes his strings as he's playing and tunes them all back up in the course of a solo without missing a beat...

maybe becuase he's a genius
    or maybe he's just a jerk ( :spit: )

the world may never know

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He does it intentionally to get a cool sound. Foderas dont even come close to falling out of tune.

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    You can see what this guy is talking about on the Bass players took over the world video. The one in Nashville with Oteil, Steve and Bill Dickens. Durring the "Footprints" tune after Vic's solo he has to tune back up while he is playing. Why the bass went out of tune? Listen to the solo, you be the judge.

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've personally never heard any major tuning issues, but consider that Vic has a Kahler whammy on his main four-string - this might very well be the cause of his minor "tune-ups" live.

10. I think some of you missed the point of the original post: It's sarcasm.

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can I collect freebie posts and trade them in for a new Fodera?

;)

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, in the live at the quick video, he was messing around with his tuners while he was playing harmonics with a frustrated look (as frustrated as vic gets, i'm sure....). maybe the harmonics didn't sound right to him? maybe he was off a cent or two? maybe he was accounting for the pitch of the harmonics he was playing? who knows. sounded good to me, though.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Geez, ya'll. Take time to look at the big-a$$ smilies next to the topics :D

brad cook

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    After his solo set with at the flecktones concert I saw, he had detuned down about an octave, he was basically just flopping around on his strings, made a kind of cool effect, nothing super awesome, but after it was done bela was ready to plunge right into the next song then he stopped and was like "oh sorry, vic you probably need to fix your tuning" and vic just shook his head and gave the okay sign.

he had been retuning his bass in the 20 seconds or so that bela and the band was coming back on stage. I don't know if it was perfect or not, but it sounded fine for hte next song.

I've often wondered if he has perfect pitch, on the one hand he does things live like tuning changes and stuff, and they seem flawless, but also, he always uses a vocoder when he wants to sing with his bass, I don't know, I'd wager he just has a realyl fine tuned ear from playing so long.

15. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings

I'm glad somebody got it!
    :D :D :D

16. A legendary Aussie bass player, Jackie Orzascky, has been known to do something similar, I have a recording of him playing with John Cleary, New Orleans funk king, and he has detuned his bass slightly so that he gets a fretless style sound when he slides up to each note....

I tried it once, its cool for about 1 song, then its starts to stress you...

The guy is a master!

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    That's because a guitar isn't an exact instrument. No matter how well built an instrument is not every note will be in tune. Vic is a perfectionist and wanted to make all of the harmonics in "amazing grace" in tune. While playing with as many harmonics as he does in that song it becomes very apparent when something is out of tune. Also consider the passage he just played before going into amazing grace. If that doesn't pull you out a bit then what will?

This was also on the Tenor bass which would be under greater string tension so that might have something to do with it.

In conclusion that movie gives me a headache everytime I watch it. Funk basoon is bad

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    (as much content as this whole thread :D)

19. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    there is something that needs to be adressed.
    funk bassoon is ultra cool. i love it when he's playin with the effects and going on the pedal synth at the same time. also, i always assumed that vic was just a perfectionist and was fixing his harmonics after slapping the heck out of it. and i saw him doing that on his tenor bass, so it isnt just the whammy bar that does it.

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    well yes, we can debate on whether Jackie Orszáczky is Aussie or emigrant...