1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

vic's setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mighty si, Nov 5, 2006.

1. mighty si

mighty si

Nov 5, 2006
    wellington
    does any one know how vic wooten sets his bass up for tapping?
    I use a warwick corvette standard passive. and cant find a good way to set it up without getting heaps of buzz fret.

would i need a active bass for a better sound?

in the bassday 98 dvd his secondary bass is strung differently anyone know it?

apologies if this has already been posted lol im a newbie.

2. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    i`ve tried one of his personal basses, and action was as low you could get on electric bass.
    Better if you leave setup job for well qualifiing luthier i think.

3. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    Good thing about the Warwick ( I have one too). You can adjust the string height at the bridge AND the nut. Get the neck to be completly straight, then you can get your strings as low as you want with minimal buzz, if you make the right adjustments to both the bridge AND the nut.

4. mighty si

mighty si

Nov 5, 2006
    wellington
    sweet. mammaryvest (?lol) Do you have a 5 or 4 string? i have both. and am using the 5 string more than the 4.

Whats this about adjusting action at the nut?

and Nitkin lol thats some honour to play Vics bass! would you know what gauge he used? ive found the lighter gauge better.. but the heavier has more warmth.

5. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    0.40 i think, better to ask him))

6. xafofo

xafofo

Jul 1, 2005
    bezerkeley
    u referring to his tenor bass? on his website he says he tunes his tenor to A D G C

http://www.victorwooten.com/

7. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I play the 4 string corvette, and the par tI'm referanceing is the Warwick "just-a-nut", If you'll notice the nut has two hex-wrench things on it, which you can adjust to make the nut higher or lower.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The hard thing is, once you have Vic's setup it takes a very controlled, practiced light touch to not sound like crapulence all the time. Finesse is a big part of his abilities.

9. mighty si

mighty si

Nov 5, 2006
    wellington
    a good point greenboy. I've since lowered my action and lowered the gauge of my strings. and yeah much easier than before.
    I havent played with the nut yet. I'd have to take my strings and stuff again eh?

I emailed anthony wellington Vics bass tech. And he said "it would help if you had a hairbow on your bass"

anyone know what the heck a hairbow is?

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Athletic wrist bands or hair ties, used to damp strings down by the nut to make slapping at high speeds easier - kind of takes the place of two-handed string-muting techniques.

11. mighty si

mighty si

Nov 5, 2006
    wellington
    ahh i see.. i can do that easy as lol.. no expense

12. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I know Victor isn't a chump, and I know Anthony Wellington isn't a chump, but putting a scrunchie on your bass just makes you look like...well...a chump.

13. mighty si

mighty si

Nov 5, 2006
    wellington
    lol thats why they call it a "hairbow". when you say scrunchie it makes it sound more camp.