1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Victor Bailey 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humabass, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to play the new VB 5. I'm curious about the neck and the B string.

Thanks

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Tag on this one.
    I wanna know too!!

3. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i definetely am curious but i was rather puzzled when i saw that they where making them as i had always read that he was a "purist" and didnt like five string basses.

i wonder whether he has changed his mind or if fender decided changed it for him?

Dave

4. VJP

VJP

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    The Fender website says Winter 2006, so they may not be out yet.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Victor Bailey's fives have been out for a while. A local store here had one and it has a typical wide 19mm spaced neck. It sounds great, it has a nice active Jazz sound. It is a beautiful bass, but I'm not super keen on gold hardware.

I'll add that if you've got the money, this bass is definitely worth it.

6. cobbster

cobbster

Sep 11, 2000
    I have one. Super nice bass with a good variety of Jazz bass tones. They are very well built and fairly light for a 5.

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    +1

I remember trying your Vic Bailey 4 last year, it was one of the best 4 strings I've ever played...

8. I tried this bass out at a friends store on Tuesday. It is a great bass and I think it's a great value for the money. It was strung E-C so I can't comment on the B string. The preamp was dead quiet as well. Even when the treble was kicked all the way up, it only had a very minor hiss that was hardly noticeable.

I'm picking one of these up soon!

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I got the 4 string version and it's off the heezy fasheezy FOR REAL!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

10. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    For those of you who have one or played one how is the neck profile compared to a Sadowsky?

11. cobbster

cobbster

Sep 11, 2000
    The neck profile on the Vic Bailey 5 is flatter than a Sadowsky.
    Very comfortable to play. This bass seems to sit in the mix very well according to our sound guy at church. He also does sound for his vocation so I give him credence.

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm going to get one sooner or later, just hoping one gets here to Iceland so I can be sure they're any good:)