1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

victor bailey acoustic fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mactac, Apr 14, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    has anyone tried one of these? they sure *look* nice !

I'd be interested in hearing from people who have played them... what do they sound like? volume? playability? action, etc?

also, if someone has one for sale, i might be interested in hearing from you

thanks

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    also interested, does the dao wood or whatever sound differnent than a normal acoustic?

3. I got to play one in GC like two weeks ago. One of the best playing/sounding acoustics I've ever played, probably the best out of major production companies. The finish is very smooth and fast on the neck. The wood, which I assumed was Koa (it is apparently Dao or something like that), looked amazing. The deep stripes in its figure are beautiful. And the whole thing is accented by tourtise shell binding around the whole thing. The sound is great just acousticly, nice and warm, but it sounds just as good plugged in. Warm, smooth, and deep, just like an acoustic should sound. Its definatly on my GAS list, but unfourtunitly, I have no use for an acoustic bass. Great basses though. Definatly check one out.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Very good looking bass, but that's about as far is it goes for me. Keep in mind, people's tastes differ, and my opinion doesn't mean that it's a bad bass, but I felt tone and sound was unimpressive and flat. I thought the Tacoma was a much better sounding bass. As for its looks and playability, perfect.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The sound is subjective.
    But, playability, feel, and looks, were great.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I started a thread on this bass a while ago. I was totally blown away by the first one I played. I went home with a Martin that day, but the Fender was almost as nice. Anyway, a while passed and I thought I would pick one up, so I tracked one down at GC. I played it for a while and was absolutely disgusted. The Dean playmates they had were better than the Fender. This bass was not at all what I remember the first one being like. Like all Fenders, quality control is all over the place. Some are great and others, not so much. If you can find a good one, snatch it up. They can be great basses, just try before you buy.

7. My local GC has one in the acoustic room. Looks nice, plays well, but the acoustic sound is mostly "eh." Typical of most ABGs, it's too harsh and mid-heavy (with not enough low end) for my tastes, but that's mainly a fundamental problem of ABGs, not an issue specific to the Bailey. In brief, it's good as ABGs go, but it's still an ABG.

8. I agree that on SOME amps the bass tends to favor mids over powerful lows or shimmering highs, but with the right amp, and if you EQ it right, they sound great. Better than the takiminies they have at GC, anyway.

9. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I played one at GC as well. I really, really liked it. If I didn't already have a Takamine with Deep Talkin Nylon Covered strings on it, I would get one :)

10. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I have played Taylors, Martins,Takamines, Fenders, Deans.
    I am in full agreement with Woodchuck my 03' Tacoma Thunderchief is the absolute BEST ABG for the money !!!

PS All you Bass Players with Tacomas try putting on a set of tape wound strings (real comfort, less string noise) IMHO

Peace

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The only Dao instruments I played were guitars, IME, very heavy on the midrange and a little weak on the highend. gorgeous wood though.

12. i have played both and found the tacoma tc blows the fender away. if i had a need for an acoustic bass it would be the tacoma, better sound, better feel, and much louder than the fender.