Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Bailey, FMT neck profiles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillm47, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Are the neck profiles on the American Deluxe jazz FMT and Victor Bailey the same front to back? If not, how do they compare :confused:

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The Bailey neck is different.
    It's 1 1/2 at the nut, like jazz bass.
    But gets a little wider, more p-bass like the rest of the neck.
    This is what Victor wanted.

3. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    This aroused my curiosity. I've compared my American Deluxe Jazz and Victor Bailey necks and there is no clear difference (I don't have a micrometer gauge). Think about it. Fender use the same pickups and bridge so string spacing will be identical - so the same neck width is appropriate. These are mass produced basses so it makes sense to stick to common parts so the same tools and jigs can be used, even if the final finish is different. :meh:

I should add that being 'mass produced' does not stop these being excellent basses - certainly more than good enough for my playing.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would like to chime in here. I have a Victor Bailey and an FMT V (I have played the MIA DLX bass also), I tried out a FMT 4 string before I got the five and from what I remember the two basses neck contour is slightly different. It's hard to explain but if you have ever played a MIA bass with graphite rod and one without the rod you would know the difference. Well the VB bass feels like a bass without graphite rods imho. I own many basses with and without the rods and the feel does'nt really make a difference to me it's just how I have observed the feel of the VB basses neck. The first impression I got when I played mine was the fact that it felt closer to a MIM neck than it did a MIA neck, again jmho.

5. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    The VB does have the graphite inserts, though. I agree the neck feels subtly different compared to my Jazz Deluxe, but not the major difference suggested by the second post. I have no idea if Fender profile the necks differently or if it is just the usual manufacturing variations. Either way it is a joy to play - as is the Deluxe. :)

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Just to clarify, I said there is a little difference, this is slight.
    There is no big difference.
    Both profiles are eazy to play.

7. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Sorry, misunderstood. :D

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My Victor bailey and my 98 MIA DLX jazz (maple neck) have two completely different profiles. Yes the VB bass has rods in the neck as do all MIA basses made after 95, what I'm merely saying is the neck feels closer to a MIM neck with rolled edges and polished fretwork than a MIA neck. Out of all the Fenders I own if I had to compare profiles I would probably say a MIM neck w/rods. Remember different does'nt make one better than the other.