Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Bailey Jazz trade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waxcomb, Jul 15, 2004.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Hey TBers,

I have a guy who is offering a fairly new (under 1 year), never gigged VIctor Bailey Jazz (with case) in a trade for my used SWR Super Redhead and Son of Bertha. I bought both used and the Redhead is missing the front cover. So far, everyone else wants the SOB without the Super Red. I don't really need another bass (never stopped me before), but it sure is pretty looking and it is the one bass that jumped out at me in the new Fender Frontline. Any input on who would be getting the better deal? :confused:

2. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Waxcomb,

If your used gear is a SWR Super Redhead and Son of Bertha, what gear are you currently using?

3. If thats your only amp then definately no.

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I recently bought a Mesa Walkabout Scout. It is plenty loud for practice and I use PA support at each gig. My worry is that I can only sell the SOB and will have the Redhead sitting around. There is another Redhead for sale locally and it has yet to sell.

5. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Well, I made the trade and my SWR gear is outta here. The Victor Bailey is for sure the nicest bass I have played in a while. It looks like it hasn't left the case ever. All of the extras are still in the plastic bag, unopened. WOW :eek: !

6. I really dig those basses. Very cool!

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    pics?

8. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Please?????????

Matt

9. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I'll try to get a digital camera, bit no promises. I know that I'm being a tease, sorry. Just close your eyes, :oops: , and imagine playing a stick of butter :bassist: ....mmmmm.

10. You just made me so hungry right now. Hungry for PICS!!

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Victor Bailey is one NASTY jazz bass!

12. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Wow.....

That's a cool one.

13. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    This many months later and I'm gearing up for another season of gigging with the Bailey Jazz. I have also done recording with it and have nailed the tone I was looking for. This bass dials in every situation with its powerful eq and my Mesa cranks out the sound nicely. I still feel lucky to play this bass. People always remark about Jazz and the players really ooh and ahh. I can't imagine playing anything else right now. It looks classic, sounds classic and feels classic. It nails our whole song list. The Mesa Walkabout Scout and a Victor Bailey Jazz, these are my money makers.

14. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Cool!!
    Thanks for the update.
    I remember reading this thread when it was first posted. I love my VB-JB. It's the only thing keeping me from getting a Sadowsky 4 string.
    It's by far one of the nicest basses Fender puts out these days. I've played a few VB-JB across the country in various shops and the consistancy is there on this one. Not like other Fenders where you have to sift through a bunch to find a nice one.
    So far, they are getting it right on the VB-JB. But, if only they would add a active/passive switch.
    And come out with the stinkin' 5 already!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
    Hurry up Fender!!!!!!!!

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I would have done that trade as well.

My Victor Bailey is the best Fender I've ever had, and I have many old and new. The preamp is killer, it is perfectly voiced and so natural/organic sounding.

It is problem the only Fender that has more than one really nice tone, and the fit and finish are near perfect.

16. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I'd like to hear it passive, too.

When the guy opened the case, I knew that it wouldn't leave my hands. The nicest bass I have ever played.

I remember putting the first tiny ding on the headstock. It was my computer monitor. Now that the waiting was over, I figured that I had reached the top of the mountain and it deserved to be played. That night I brought it to practice and gigged it a few days later.

I now have my Fender that will age and become a classic in my hands. This is now the workhorse that will see many miles.

17. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Congrats!

These are for sure EXCELLENT J basses! I bought one from Musiciansfriend a couple of yrs ago and it was one FINE playing, sounding, and looking bass. I returned it for a refund because it had a ding on the headstock and missing all the case candy :eek: ... I felt like for $1400.00 it should be in mint new condition. They said they could swap me for another one but at the time I was just kind ticked off about them sending the bass in that condition so I just said screw it. Wish I woulda swapped now :bawl:

18. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm a recent convert to the VB jazz. Fit, finish, and feel are top-notch. I was a little overwhelmed with the myriad of tones that this bass can produce and went back to my passive 75RI for a while.

I went out to Victor Bailey's site and in his forum he goes into great detail on how and why he designed this bass the way it is. After reading that, it sort of clicked with me on how to approach the use of the bass. It is now my primary bass.

VB Jazz owners. How do you find that you set you amp's EQ? I have a Mesa Walkabout scout and a Mesa MPulse 600 (using a 2x10 Eden cab). I find that I set everything a bit flat and tweak the sound from the bass.

19. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    For finger style funk, I'll slightly boost the mids, and the bass.
    For a woody tone, I'll roll back the treble all the way.
    For slap, I'll roll back the mids just slightly and slightly boost the bass.