Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Bailey's Bass Is Missing!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dude, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    This in from VB this morning. Please email me with any info and I'll pass it on to him ok? Spread the word and keep your eyes open for his bass. Thanks!

Since Sunday September 30, my beloved "Fender Victor Bailey Bass" has been missing. Between 10:30-10:45 am the morning of September 30th, the bass was checked in at Houston (Tex) I'tnl Airport, Continental Airlines, E-Ticket check in counter. The bass was handed to a Continental employee behind the counter, tagged and taken with the rest of his luggage. After that it's a mystery what happened to the bass. I have the baggage claim tag (#COOOO5950066), so there's no mistaking the fact that it was checked in by
    Continental. Upon arrival in Los Angeles I received my luggage but not the instrument. Continental has no explanation whatsoever. According to the airline the bag was never scanned. So what does that tell you about your travels these days?

1-I was allowed to board a flight without them ever confirming that the bags I checked were actually on the same flight-scary!

2-If the bag went to another city, as the airline claims it thinks happened, then a piece of luggage was put on a different flight without anyone checking to confirm that it belonged to anyone on that flight-a frightening thought these days! So I have no answers at all. Did it ever leave Houston? Did it go to another city? Was it stolen in Houston? Was it stolen in LA? There are no answers! In the attachment to this email I have included a photo of this bass. This bass is the FIRST official "Victor Bailey Bass" so not only is it MY AXE but it's an historic instrument. A rare Fender signature instrument. Years from now long after I'm gone, there will still be Victor Bailey basses out there so it's bigger than me. And that's the original one. I don't know if anyone will be able to help but keep your eyes open for me.
    DESCRIPTION (see photo in attachment)

The VB Bass is a "Jazz Bass" style bass. It has a three-piece body. The front is koa (medium brown), the middle piece is rosewood (dark brown) and the back is mahogany (semi-light brown). It has a clear shiny varnish. The neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard. All hardware is gold. The headstock (area where the tuning pegs are) is stained a medium brown to match the front of the body. At the front of the headstock is Victor Bailey's logo. Identifying marks are as follows:

A screw is (was) missing at the jack where the cable plugs in at the bottom of the bass. The screw farthest to the back of the bass is the one missing. Right below that same jack there is a one-inch square chunk of the varnish chipped off, from not using a guitar stand. There is a brown leather strap and a set of Dean Markley strings in the case. It is in a Fender
    case, the new hard "molded case" where the bottom is flat and the top is curved in the shape of the bass. There is a red "Fender" label on the front of the case. Attached to the handle is a yellow baggage tag that reads "Victor Bailey Group". On this tag is a picture of me from the back holding the bass and my address and phone are on the back. This bass is pretty unique and rare as Fender Jazz basses go so it shouldn't be hard to spot should someone turn up with it. If anyone sees or hears anything please contact me (email is
    best).

I am heartbroken!

[​IMG]

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Attn Paul or Moderators.....can I ask that this thread get stuck up top please?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Like Josh said, it's already posted in two forums.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This bass also has exposed pole pieces on the Jazz pickups, but the neck pickup has only has three exposed pole pieces; on the A, D, G string but not the E string.

What a shame, the airline will probably find it. I wonder what he's playing as a backup, that is a sweet bass.

Dude, you're so melodramatic. :D