Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor in Concert

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron, Jul 19, 2001.

1. He is one cool cat.

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. I don't appreciate his bass playing. I'm ashamed of myself.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I haven't really listened to him. I'm ashamed of myself.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who's this Vicar Woody guy? Oh, isn't he in that De Niro film?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I like ketchup, but hate tomatos. Am I normal?

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Man, i just saw victor wooten in concert yesterday at the zoo (it is called the Woodland Park Zoo Concert Series or something, not the new "Jazz man exhibit") with Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. They put on a great show. They play with great musical humor, and they are among the greatest musicians in the world. I'm going to skip all the cool bela fleck stuff (unless you bass players are interested, bela actually did some cool stuff though). They were always playing Zoo/Animal music like "The lion sleeps tonight" and other songs. Victor even started to play continuum. If i called people "The greatest (intrument goes here) player" i would call victor wooten "The greatest bass player" but, unlike jaco, i don't beleive in calling people "the greatest", because it is impossible to judge. How can you compare Edgar Meyer and Victor Wooten? How could you compare any country/bluegrass player to a rock player or jazz player? See my point? Well Victor is the best at what he does. (and by that i don't mean play bass, because there are too many great bass players to judge, but the way he plays.) But i do beleive i'm pretty safe to say that Bela Fleck is the greatest contemporary jazz banjo player of all time(he is one of the greatest bluegrass player too). Victor blew my mind, and it pisses some people off because he is so talented, but i keep a positive attitude (here's my 19% gay kicking in.) Overall i have to say that The Flecktones are in their own universe when it comes to their talent.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    As Mr. Victor Wooten could never ever ever be off-topic from bass, I'm sending this thread to MISCELLANEOUS.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    sorry about that, i spaced. i was origianally going to talk about Bela and everyone else in the band and then i though "most people here are mainly interested in Victor."

4. Hello fellow Vic fans,
    I was fortunate enough to be one of the 60 people at Victor's bass/nature camp last year.The experience really changed my life as it did all my fellow campers.Victor,along with being one of the greatest musicians on the planet ,happens to be an amazing human being as well.He always takes the time to talk to his fans after he performs.There are not a lot of cats out there who do this.To those of you fortunate enough to be attending this years bass/nature camp i congratulate you. You too are in for a life changing experience.
    peace and blessings to you all.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    jazzbo... not to be a pain in the a$$ but... shouldn´t this go to "Bassists"?

*runs away*

:D:D

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah Dave, but it was more about the concert than about Vic as a bassist.

Now crawl back into your cave fool!

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you are correct sir... i apologize.... please don´t chop me up with your mighty Katana :)

8. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    That katana's scary.
    I wonder if he can really use it..........

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    He who yields the mighty kitana knows not what isn't known in knowing how to know now the non-, um, nevermind.

[​IMG]

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

LOL :D

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Whomever voted for the I like ketchup but hate tomatoes thing, yes you are normal. That is, unless you hate old school tomatoes; the ones that actually tasted like something that now cost nine dollars a pound at natural food stores. If you hate those I pity your soul.:D

12. I am/was a Vic fan. I think he is a great bass player, and love the Flecktones when I first heard them but now I just can listen to him or them any more. They just don't grab my Mojo.

I would rather listen to Return to Forever or Mahavishnu Orchestra

13. I've said this a few times before, but I'll say it again. I really liked the Flecktones "Cosmic Hippo" and "Cuckoo's Nest" days. I saw the Flecktones playing in the trio setting in London and they played their a$$es off for close to 3 hours. That was the first time I saw Victor live. Prior to that show, I had seen some amazing bass performances, but Victor's live presence blew my mind. He was just so entertaining and when he went off, I was like, "Don't stop!"

Then later on that year, I saw Oteil Burbridge!

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Havin' another Yoda moment, jb?

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's been a long day. ;)

16. Brad Johnson