Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor or Jaco?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by peteroberts, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Jaco

71 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. Victor

44 vote(s)
    38.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. who do you think is the greatest electric player of all time? I go back and forth, but right now I am leaning towards Vic

2. so do you prefer apples or oranges?

vote, it's your civic duty! :D

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well, Jaco was great but not really my taste. Vic is ok i guess.

Neither get my vote. Jaco definitely made more of a lasting historical statement for bassists than Vic. Vic is just a good bass player.

Paul Chambers gets my vote i suppose ( and I'm an electric player 70% of the time.)

4. :D

Sorry 'bout that Peter. I cut my reply short 'cause my smoke alarm went off and startled me. I meant to explain that, IMHO, Jaco did what he did very well, as does Vic. They are 2 different animals. That having been said, I would concede that Vic MIGHT be a bit more technically adept, but who's to say what would have been if Jaco were still with us.

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    not another one of these... :rolleyes:

Neither one of them, it was the one armed man.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    the only correct answer is "Apples"

7. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
  8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I think who we prefer would be a better question.

I think that Jaco did the most for bass evolution, but Vic is one the most technically wise players.

9. Uh oh, yet another "who's the greatest?" thread. :oops:

No one's the 'greatest'. Though I have an itching to say that James Jamerson was the best, I can't really back that up, because there are other players that can do some things that he couldn't. It's no big deal though; bottom line is that every player has something different to offer. I agree with many others that arguing about who is best is a waste of time.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Thank the Lord they both Play(ed)!

11. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Hey, you forgot to put me on the poll

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i second that!

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Victor Wooten and Jaco are apples and oranges.

Victor Bailey and Jaco are closer.

14. Without Jaco there wouldn't even be a debate.

15. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, the styles are totally different, but I choose Jaco cause....

It's not that I am a huge Jaco nut, actually I am a huge Otiel nut (going to see him in 4 hours). Victor I think is a master of technicality, but I don't feel the vibe and soul in him as much. I like the phrasing from jaco, and oteil, better.

But, that's not too say I don't like Victor's phrasing. Just like the voicing Jaco and Oteil bring out more....

16. Requiem

Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    I think that they're both pioneers....

one started many years ago, mostly in jazz

and the other practiced fpr years developing his own sound....his own original sound.

So I think...what did I learn from both:

Jaco thaught me harmonics, speed, modulation, and many fingerstyles I developed listening to him.

Victa showed me...huh millions of things....NEVER copying just learning from them to create my own style...

SO WHO"S better??? It is not worth it.

17. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I don't get the point of "who is better" threads, either, but that being said... I sure like Jaco's tone better. I've heard some of Victor's stuff that was technically awesome, but I didn't dig his tone. Jaco sounded like buttah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.