Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Feb 14, 2006.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Heya

This isn't about double thumping.In the video attached he does a slidey thing at 3.16 .How the hell does he do that?It's cool :hyper:

Cheers
    Mike

2. Speedsolve

Speedsolve

Oct 2, 2005
    U.K.
    Where's the vid?

3. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Man I never get tired of watching that video. That's my all time favorite hymn as well.

4. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    This thing always get me crazy !!!

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Beautiful Phrasing, and that sweeping technique he has is brilliant..

6. If you're talking about the long slide up the neck, it's a harmonic slide. It's pretty simple on fretless but was never able to do it on fretted bass.
    You basically pop a harmonic note, then put pressure back on the string (around the fretline on a fretless) and slide up the neck (all of this, VERY fast).
    I know it sounds simple but I am still working on it (on fretless).
    :)

7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    If its the harmonic slide then yeah I agree with the guy above. I do them quite a bit on fretless, but right at 3:15 looks to be a regular slide up the neck which frees up the right hand to tap the highest note he plays. So slide and tap complete octaves on one string to practice.

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    So basically slide from lets say 5th fret on G (C) right up and before you get to high C tap it?

9. thanks for the video. Victor's playing is awesome.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Bingo except in the video Victor is tuned ADGC like a tenor bass.

11. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    You make it sound too complicated, just pluck the harmonic, fret, and slide. Its not all that different on fretted, you just want to make sure that you don't fret too hard unless you want the string ringing out with the harmonic and note.

12. Sorry... I am known for that... :meh:

13. Vic never ceases to amaze me. I think we should show the top link whenever anyone posts some guy bustin' a few slap licks and says 'This guy blows wooten out of the water.'

14. BioSore

BioSore

Jan 30, 2006
    Minnesota
    All that I can say is, holy crap. Victor Wooten is my new idol.