Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Venegas RIP

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well, I got the sad news that Victor Venegas has passed on. For those who don’t know him, Victor was a seminal figure in Latin Jazz and played with many luminaries such as Mongo Santamaria, Cal Tjaedar, the Fania AllStars and many more. He was also a great teacher having influenced and mentored many including Ruben Rodriguez and Carlos Henriquez. My knowledge of his past is limited and I hope that some others will add to this. Ruben?
    On a personal note, I owe Victor a debt of gratitude. Victor became friendly with me at a place of previous employ. One day he said to me, “You’re better than this, you should open up your own place”. Strangely enough I had never entertained the thought up until then. My life took an immediate turn that day and I made a beeline to becoming my own boss. Victor was my first client. Thanks Victor, I’ll miss you.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That is a great loss.

3. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    This is a big loss to the latin bass world, one we will all feel. I personally am learning a lot about Victor over the past few days, and I feel disappointed that I didn't learn enough about him during his lifetime. I have heard a few recordings, but after all I've read on the latinjazz e-group, I now know I need to go back and check him out in a big way. I would love to get some recommendations for recordings and if anyone has any more info about Victor, I would love to hear about it. Let's keep his musical influence alive!

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Jeff, that's a great obit.

5. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Thanks for the memories Vic!

Love,
    R

Attached Files:

6. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    One of the groups that Victor Venegas played with before his death, Son Del Barrio, has created a web site "in memory" of Victor. Pretty cool stuff there, especially for those of us (myself included) who did not know Victor or
    his work too well. Some good pictures, a partial discography, and a
    little bit of biographical info. Check it out!

http://zondelbarrio.com/In_Memory_of_Victor_Venegas.html