Victor Venegas RIP

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well, I got the sad news that Victor Venegas has passed on. For those who don’t know him, Victor was a seminal figure in Latin Jazz and played with many luminaries such as Mongo Santamaria, Cal Tjaedar, the Fania AllStars and many more. He was also a great teacher having influenced and mentored many including Ruben Rodriguez and Carlos Henriquez. My knowledge of his past is limited and I hope that some others will add to this. Ruben?
    On a personal note, I owe Victor a debt of gratitude. Victor became friendly with me at a place of previous employ. One day he said to me, “You’re better than this, you should open up your own place”. Strangely enough I had never entertained the thought up until then. My life took an immediate turn that day and I made a beeline to becoming my own boss. Victor was my first client. Thanks Victor, I’ll miss you.
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That is a great loss.
  3. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    This is a big loss to the latin bass world, one we will all feel. I personally am learning a lot about Victor over the past few days, and I feel disappointed that I didn't learn enough about him during his lifetime. I have heard a few recordings, but after all I've read on the latinjazz e-group, I now know I need to go back and check him out in a big way. I would love to get some recommendations for recordings and if anyone has any more info about Victor, I would love to hear about it. Let's keep his musical influence alive!
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Jeff, that's a great obit.
  5. Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Thanks for the memories Vic!

Attached Files:

6. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    One of the groups that Victor Venegas played with before his death, Son Del Barrio, has created a web site "in memory" of Victor. Pretty cool stuff there, especially for those of us (myself included) who did not know Victor or
    his work too well. Some good pictures, a partial discography, and a
    little bit of biographical info. Check it out!