Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

victor wooten: amazing grace: those tripples

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rusmannx, Dec 24, 2001.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    about 1:20 into the live version recording i have, he starts on these tripples that are so quick and explosive (one set of triples at time), they could almost be mistaken for a single note. does anyone know how we mere mortals might accomplish this? how does he do it?

-russ-

2. Hey dude. I found out how Victor does that by watching a video that was made back in 1998 at the bass day, NY. It is actually really simple, though it racked my brain for months how he did that. He uses a technique called, open-hammer-pluck. Where you actually slap an open string, hammer on with your index finger, and then pop the octave. He uses a ton of variation, but the easiest way to learn it is to actually see the video. Peace out and good luck with that
    Ben ><>

3. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    it sounded to me like he was following his slap with the popping of two strings almost at the same time. i've been trying it all day and i think i'm getting pretty close.

for instance, slap the E, and immediatly pop the D with the index and at the same time pop the G with your middle finger. if you get your fingers under the strings just at the right depths and angles the one will pop immediatly after the other.

i'll try your method too. and thanks.

-russ-

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    There's a bass solo instructional video by Victor, also. Shows up on ebay once in a while.
    Doc

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Similar fast triplet is easy to make first slapping some fretted note, then hammering the octave and after that popping the octave. As the octaved string is not ringing before hammering the hammer won't be very loud but with soft slap and pop, it's clearly audible.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's called a flam(a drum term).
    You're definitely on the right track; findind the 'right depth & angles" of your fingers relative to your bass is true. It is important to keep the index & middle fingers FIXED...do not attempt to pop each string individually, merely thumb then flick upwards. Combine that with some fretting hand SLAPPING(like the "Open Hammer-Pluck") yields a lot more rhythmic possibilties.

7. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    if you go to victorwooten.com, there are some lessons on the open-hammer-pluck. They really helped me out a lot in my technique.