Victor Wooten Bass Day 98 Video

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stingray5, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Anyone have this? I have some Flecktones on CD, his solo albums, a videotaped performance from pbs, and I've seen them live. At $24.99, is the video worth the price of admission?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think it's great!
    It's always a treat watching his live performances. Guests are his brother Regi, Oteil Burbridge, and others.
    I really like the workshop part too, he answers some questions, and you can glimpse a little bit of his philosophies and of course his playing techniques. Overall great sound and good camera work.
    I also have Oteil Burbridge's Bass Day video, which is very good also.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd say Regi's performance is worth the price of admission. He and Vic do a version of Return to Forever's "Vulcan Worlds" that turns into a duel (slapped bass v. slapped guitar) that has to be seen to be believed.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I have the Bass Day '98 CD, which has three of Vic's performances on it (one of them is the big jam at the end), and I would buy it just for those three songs! I have Vic's tape with Steve Bailey and I constantly watch it. My girlfriend is ready to take it away from me. Whever I feel like I'm starting to get bored with the bass, I listen to or watch Victor and get all hyped up about playing again. I definitely think you should buy it.
  5. Wow, sounds like it IS worth it. He always talks about his brother Reggi - can't wait to hear him too.

Looks like i should get-a-purchasin'! Thanks guys. :)
  6. While it is pretty cool to watch, I kind of thought that it just sounded like a bunch of noise when Vic and Regi were slapping as fast as they could. To be totally honest, I get tired of his slapping real easily. I love his fingerstyle, harmonics, tapping, etc. though. He does Amazing Grace which is pretty cool too.
  7. That video is worth its weight in gold. The first time I saw it, I was in awe.

It did, however, impress upon me that there is no sanctioned way to play the bass ... do whatever works for YOU.

He grew up surrounded by guitar music ... and it shows.

8. Beelzebob

Beelzebob Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Hooksett, NH
    I was driving across country one day and happened to stop in to Nashville, TN. I dropped over to a place called 5th and Lindsay, I do believe on a Thursday night and caught the Wooten brothers Jammin' out. Wow. Victor wasn't there, but Regi and the others were, as well as guest players. It was amazing. So amazing. Even Claude McKnight happened to stop by and do 100 Days with them. I was blown away. How lucky I was to happen to stop in on that day to catch them. I have seen Victor play and would say that anything you could get by him is worth what you pay, every time, but I was so impressed with his brothers. It was a great treat and shows me where he get a lot of his talent from. The Wootens are great.