Victor Wooten coming my way!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mahlon, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Mahlon

Jan 27, 2005
    Bennettsville SC
    I just saw on Victor Wooten's site he's gonna play three nights in Myrtle Beach next month, with several guest artists. It's called Bass at the Beach. That's only 80 miles away, so I'm pumped. I've only seen him on my Flectones DVD. Has anyone here seen him live? :hyper:
  2. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Not only have I seen him live a number of times, I have had the opportunity to hang with him for just a little while. The Flecktones were doing a how with the local ballet (Grand Rapids, MI), and as I know a number of the guys who danced in the show, I was invited to the cast party at a local restaurant/bar. Vic, along with the other guys in the band, are among the most approachable an d awesome people I have ever met.

And it goes without saying that they absolutely KILL live! Undoubtedly the best shows I have ever attended.
  3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Saw him with the rest of the Wooten's about two yrs ago. GREAT concert. He does some amazing things... and his brothers aren't too shabby, either. :eek:
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    His entire family is musically talented! The only two siblings he has that dont actively play, sang. And according to Vic, there were "Great".

Best Victor Quote:

Music is it's own language... One day I realized that... upon realizing that, I found that I had a lot to say, But I dont know how to talk...

5. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i saw him at the egg in albany, ny last year....might go again this year.

i would listen to victor more if he overplayed less, but he puts on a hell of a show.
  6. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    This may sound starnge, but even with how much tapping and what-not he does live, I have NEVER felt he was overplaying (and that really means something coming from a guy like me). His playing, however technical, has always seemed most appropriate.
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with that completely. Despite his amazing technical abilities I don't think he ever loses the overall groove of a song.
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Very, true... No matter how much he does, or what he loops and plays over, or how crazy his slap beat is, or how disonant all of it sounds, it still fits perfectly...

I just realized that.
  9. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Twice, on two consecutive days at Byron in 2002.
  10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    His brother Reggie, on the other hand... :D
  11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Sat second row center in West Palm Beach in 2003. I had never heard any music of his before that. Nothing!

At one point I saw his stage hand nudge Reggie and they pointed to me and laughed. That was when I realized that my mouth was wide open in amazement. I don't know how long it had been that way.

Truely amazing. I bought two CDs that night and I still listen to them regularly.

BTW What Bela fleck CDs do you recommend to start with (obviously with Vic)
  12. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i saw him in houston a few years ago........i was amazed.....i also wanted to go home and burn my bass....
  13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Haha! Exactly! When I listen to Victor, Stanley, Jaco, or Mr. Patitucci I bt down my bass and weap softly in the corner!
  14. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Going 3/19/05, 6th row at The Egg in Albany NY!!!!!!! :hyper:
    An awesome show last year!!!!
  15. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AGHHH..........everyone keeps talking about victors amazing new tour, and i just get madder and madder.

He's coming to Bloomington, IN, two hours from me. But the venue he is playing at is a 21+ club, and i'm only 18!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  16. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I didn't see a Myrtle Beach date for next month. I did see a date for Winston Salem, NC. ;)

17. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    DUDE, That totally sucks!!!! Its his best EVER!!!!!!!! And Bloomington is his LAST stop on the Tour, After that he Retires the old material forEVER!!!

You should just jump off a bridge right now.

:bag: :rollno: :bag:
  18. He's playing the House of Blues in Chicago In April, I can't wait!!!
  19. Mahlon

Jan 27, 2005
    Bennettsville SC
    Hey JR Brown, the Myrtle Beach deal is a flyer on Victor's web site. Scroll down. It's Bass At The Beach.
  20. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Stand by the backdoor until Vic comes (soundcheck hour), than tell him how much you desire to see the show and the problem with your age ... I've heard he's such a nice guy ... maybe he could let you come in like one of the crew! :smug: