Victor Wooten Concert in San Francisco - Wow!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I just got home from a Victor Wooten concert at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. It was fantastic.

It started fashionably late, almost an hour after the scheduled 9 o' clock time. I was right at the front so I wouldn't miss any of the action. The whole band (Reji and Joseph W. on Guitar and Keys and J.D. Blair on drums) was on stage except Vic, whose voice we could hear over the P.A.. He would tease the audience with the beginning strum of "U can't hold no groove" and then stop. Finally, he began playing the tune, but we couldn't see him, Until we turned around and there he was, playing his way through the audience. Eventually, Vic gave his bass to the roadie onstage (Who's a mean bassist in his own right, but the way) and was lifted onto the stage by audience members. Once up there he started playing "U ain't got no groove" again, but with a mishap, his G string broke while he was playing. He didn't stop (and it didn't sound too shabby either) until the roadie traded basses with Vic (He was playing his original Fodera with the Kahler trem and switched to the Yin-Yang 4 for a while. When the other bass had the string replaced the roadie threw the broken string to the audience and guess who caught it? Moi!

Now that I'm home, I took a closer look at the string. I'm assuming it's a DR because Vic endorses them. I'm also assuming it was fresh when vic started playing the bass. That's why I was surprised to see grooves in the string (on the places where it hit the frets) when it was so new. He must be the most aggressive fingerstyle player I've ever seen, and, I've seen Manring.

The songs were a medley of Wooten compositions from his three CDs, focusing mostly on Yin-Yang. It seems Vic wants his gigs to be more about his music than about his bass playing, which I think is good. He did do a couple of his signature solo pieces, though, including "Caravan" and "Amazing Grace".

All other players had a chance to strut their wares. Joseph played a couple of his compositions. Besides his keys, he had a Theremin on stage, which was really cool. Reji did his two handed guitar thing also, although it doesn't go over as successfully as Victor's because his guitar doesn't ring notes too well and because it wasn't a very good guitar. Actually, Reji was playing a Squier strat through a Peavey combo, which hammers home the fact that the instrument is less important than the player.

Besides the two basses I mentioned, Vic used a 4 string Fodera Emperor with JJs and a 5-string with a high C and a MIDI pickup, which he used to synthesize the sound of a sax, while the roadie playes the bassline on another bass.

There was also a young woman who opened the show. I forget her name. what was impressive was that she could rap (busting rhymes, literally) while playing a different groove on the bass. She was playing a Modulus Quantum 5, if you're interested.

The bass cabinets were all Ampeg, with two 4x10s and 2 1x15s although he had some other signal processors.

Finally, how can I describe the energy that Vic used to fill that (relatively) little room? he must have lost about 5 pounds in sweat. The show lasted three hours and Vic even autographed my Steinberger.

The only bummer was that I didn't attend the wednesday concert, in which Michael Manring sat in. Now that would have been an event. I gotta invest in a minidisc player.

Well, it's three A.M. and I gotta collapse in bed. Nighters.

2. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

The Flecktones are coming my way at the end of the month. . I'm still undecided about going because a few people I was supposed to go with backed out. I think if I miss Vic I will kick myself in the a$$ for a long time.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think that's Divinity. There's some pics on vic's website you can check out for identification.
  4. I'm going to be seeing Victor tomorrow (Saturday) in concert and, by what your describing, it sounds like he's doing a lot of the same stuff he did the last time he came to town. He's always a blast to watch though, so it should be cool.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Yeah, I knew it started with a "D". I was too tired to remember.