Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Wooten double thump lesson on video.google

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Riku, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Riku

Riku

Dec 27, 2005
    Here you go.

I searched and didn't find that anyone would've posted this before.

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    there is a thread on the first page with the same video/.

3. It would take me forever to even do the simplest of what he is showing. ugh

4. ignignok

ignignok

Dec 25, 2005
    Its really not hard at all...just takes some getting used to, like normal slapping for the first time. Its really an incredibly easy and basic technique.

5. Bad thing about this video is that he doesnt show you how to get a decent tone on the way up. I mean, I was tough to slap using the side of my knuckle on my thumb, but coming back up that thing doesnt do a thing.

6. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    get "victor wooten live at bass day 98"
    there's three explanations on how to do it, the hardest part is make it even.

7. great video, it really helped me learn what i am doing wrong. back to the bass i go

lowsound

8. MickeyMickey

MickeyMickey

Dec 17, 2005
    This is technically impressive but I don't see how useful it would be considering it doesn't sound all that great.

Also, Victor Wooten seems like a cool dude aside from his bass playing.

9. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Is this the same technique he uses on Classical Thump?

10. Yeah. it's alright for slap lines, if you want a bit of sex in them. But I can just slap twice (just normal old rotate ya wrist and hit the string) in succession faster than I can double thumb, or even move my elbow in the 'guitar strumming' motion Vic mentions, so there's no point for me I've realised. Plus I think funk lines played fingerstyle sound so much better in a band context.

Meow

11. jenich CZ

jenich CZ

Feb 4, 2006
    well, i think, that you should try to use index and middle finger with double thumb on one string...it is much faster, than regular slap...

Also the advantage of double thumb is in playing percussive sounds with your right hand while your left hand is tapping the melody...

12. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

That's sarcasm, right?

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    No. He uses a triplet. He goes Thumb Down, Thumb Up, Pluck.

so..I guess it is a double thump, just with a pluck afterwards.

-Mark

14. MickeyMickey

MickeyMickey

Dec 17, 2005
    No.

Does Victor Wooten have frets on the body of his guitar? What's going on with those frets that appear to be on the body below the neck?

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That's actually the neck of his bass that matches the colour of the body of his bass.

16. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    actualy he uses open hammer upstroke

17. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
  18. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You should definitely start listening to some Flecktones, if you think his bass playing isn't that good.

19. MickeyMickey

MickeyMickey

Dec 17, 2005
    I think my post may have been confusing, because I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I think Victor Wooten is a pretty amazing bassist but I don't think this double slap and pluck technique he's demonstrating sounds good (edit: although I do think it's pretty impressive). I also get the impression that he's a generally cool guy from the video.