Victor Wooten - How does he do it?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by no_poetic_devic, Dec 21, 2002.

1. I know everyone talks about him and most people here are probably sick of hearing his name.
    But what technique does he use to play songs like "classical thump"? It sounds like he's playing 2 things at once and how does he get the speed to do it??
  2. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My guess... magic.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's all about economy of motion. Use as many open strings as possible; use as many hammer ons/pull offs as possible; pack as many right hand attacks as you can into one down-up motion.
  5. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    He is an excellent tapper and he is also quite accomplished at double picking.
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    for some reason, when i see his technique i expect to hear doo doo come of his amp...but music comes out...magic, i guess
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    see... told ya... :)

I understand what you're saying neptoon, I watched a video of him jamming with the Dave Matthews Band. His hand was just wildly flying around and presto chango, out comes music. :confused:
  8. very carefully

and magic, like previously mentioned.
  9. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    get one of his books

they help a lot . I got one for christmas and im learning how to do flams and all kinda crazy things

the book helps a lot if u want to learn to play his stuff
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    take thumb
    now repeat after me:
    down up down up down up down up down up
    practice practice practice.

I find that using as many open strings possible is not victors technique, but it can be a good fake of his tech.

when I do Classical thump I do hammer down up for the triplets
    a friend of mine does open down up hammer
    both sound good, until the upper register when the open strings heavily contrast the high notes, so really its all about hammer ons and timing, not open strings.

victors technique takes a LOT of practice, and time, and effort, I haven't even come close to feeling comfortable with my double thumb techniques not to mention tapping(vic's two biggest techniques) but I'd say I'm progressing well enough.

Victors Live at bass day '98 taught me a lot, just watching him helped me a lot.
  11. I just watched a Vic Wooten instructional tape the other day.Magic is a good definition.Yikes!! That guy is insane! He does a lot of tapping and also double thumbing and some wild things with his fretting hand.Kind of cool as I always wondered how he got the guitar and bass sound simulataneously...he will often play the bassier notes with the right(plucking)hand and the guitar(melody) part with his left(fretting)hand.

The really frustrating part is:he makes it look soooo
    simple and easy!!! :O

Sorry,I don`t know the title of the exact tape as it was a loner w/out label.Check it out if you get the chance though.Dated early `90s I belive(and he plays with his brothers for the band.

OOPS.I done babbled,din I? :p
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If My memory serves me correctly I believe the video is called
    Victor Wooten super bass solo technique

there might be an "amazing" in there...but I can't remember exactly.

what I've always liked about Vic's technique is that he doesn't rely on left handed slap to make his playing seem fast, rather, by using his double thumb technique he produces more notes that not only sound cleaner but enable him to go even faster. Which I like, simply because so many bassists rely on left handed slap to make it sound like they are hitting notes really fast when they are just muting a lot.
  13. Bingo!!!

You are right WR!Methinks that is the title. :)
    No doubt Vic is a cut above the rest in both his technique and his execution.The video is cool becuase it allows you to see how he actually uses his hands.
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah...and how ridiculously weird looking he was back then...he has like 4 teeth and each one is the size of my foot, and a smooshed face and bizzare he must have weighed 40 pounds more back then, he's really cleaned up since then. now I think he has 5 teeth and his hair is more consistent.
  15. I just downloaded a 4 min solo vid of Vic playing live... And.. Oh. My. Gawd!!! :eek:

You loose track of the man's hand's! Jeesh!

I've heard him play on mp3, but that was.. um.. wow

16. BassGuirl

Jan 3, 2003

Do what the guy did before me. I learned some of vic's technique's on his website. Plus, he tabbed out some "Classical Thump" in the very last lesson. Keep in mind that he is saving all of his goodies for his upcoming book, so he didn't tab out the whole thing.

It's great! And just incase you got the cyberlesson bug like I did. Check out Talk about a freebie!!! The dude is originally $70 an hour!

17. If I played bass since i was three years old, i would be good at bass too.
  18. rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    To GothSkaBassist:

Not Neccesarily. It's not how long, but the quality of the time.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Didn't he have his first gig when he was like 4?
  20. very carefully...

wow :eek: ...i just read back and someone already said that...

i know! skill..., wait a tick...dagnabit!
    well, he sold his soul to some guy named berny....yea, that's it....