Victor Wooten- Soul Circus

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SpectorSlapBass, Aug 15, 2005.

1. This album rocks! A lot of Wooten's other stuff is just him going crazy on his bass and calling it a song, but this cd is actually really easy to sit back and listen to.

5 out of 5!!1 :cool:
  2. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree, it's a really great cd. I don't think there are any songs I don't like, but I'm really fond of Prayer and Natives.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm pretty sure there is already a thread about this CD
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Searching? Bah who needs it.

My experience with this disc is that I listened to about three seconds of it and I couldn't stand the cheeseball synths.

Granted I've never liked Wooten so take my input with a mountain of salt.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

There was, and I started it, and I considered merging this and that together, but that's almost a little silly, bumping such an old thread just to add "yo check out this CD it's awesome" when the thread is about that CD.
  6. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Hehe I love the synth sounds, but I'm a junky for that kinda stuff.

I have noticed lately, however, that I'm bringing Vic down from the pedestal he used to occupy. I still love his music, but after listening to some other funk and R&B groups, I tend to like their sound better, like gimme Bootsy any day. I listen to Victa just for the Bootsy parts :) And you just can't beat Larry Graham's heavy handed super thick thump and pop. Victor's is just a feathery kind of sound that's impressive, but not as fun to listen to for me. I think that's why I liked Soul Circus so well, it's not typical Wooten. Glad to see he's branching out.
  7. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Soul Circus is a great cd. I love the intro to the first instrumental track - and I love the title track.
  8. I've been a huge Victor fan for a long time. Haven't heard the c.d., however, I went to the show....... And it was so freakin boring!! Wooten came out on stage like a rap star, popping up on a couple cabinets and the whole thing was pretty much "Hey I'm Victor Wooten" and " Wow that Cat's got eight arms". Musically the show lacked big time, I wasn't real down with the whole cheasy rhymes and chants and the synchronized dancing and what not. And there really didn't need to be ten people on stage at all times. I ESPECIALLYYYYY..... didn't need to hear Wooten's bass tech play all night either.

First five minutes rocked, then the super fast chops got old, and the music couldn't carry the night. I really expected more in terms of composition and song writing. That wasn't the case, I can only see the same lick so many times in one night without wanting to see something else. Sorry Victor, you're freakin awesome, but this thing was a huge stink. Just my opinion. :bag:
  9. You've just outlined all the reasons I love the Flecktones and remain unconvinced by Wooten's attempts at a big 'old-skool' funk revival. Admitedly I've only seen the Flecktones live - 4 times - and they were suitably awesome on three of those occasions, one not so great due to a slightly crappy venue - but as soon as I heard the 'Live in America' CD I just went - damn - that's just so cheeeeeeesy!

I really like bits of Soul Circus and as an album I think it's very good overall - but I think there's a difference in approach when it comes to a 'show' and a 'concert' - the former tends to mean hightened theatrics and a 'showy' style of playing / performing - a concert for me is about listening, and watching obviously, but watching the interaction of the players and how they communicate on stage - more about music - less about crazy stage antics. Wooten is still a huge favourite of mine on the bass, and he is a great, great bassist and musical talent - but he's taking his own music in a direction I'm not that inclined to follow, mainly because some of it is so damn 'icky'...

10. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I agree about the synths. He's never been able to get around the cheesy 80's style synth patches. It's not like it's hard to find a keyboardist with a decent moog these days that can lay down some funky/soulful organ work. That kind of stuff was good in the 70's and its just as good today. What was good in the 80's will always stay in the 80's.

I still like a lot of Vic's stuff and I model much of my own playing off of his when it comes to tapping (melodically).

11. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Thank God others are starting to think about this!

A while back, I did "an open letter to victor wooten" post, where I implored him to start making bass albums, and lay off the cheesy 80's rap....and I was soundly flamed!

One guy called me an idiot, and others had even harsher words..

It had me questioning my ears, and taste, wondering if maybe I was way off base or not....but after reading these posts, THANK GOD I am not alone!

Victor Wooten is routinely doing 80's cheeseball music now....and I am glad others have noticed...perhaps he will read these posts and realize that he has only been listening to yes-men and syncophants who worship him so much, that no one has the guts to complain to his face!

Wooten seems to be obssessed with rap, and tired funk...funk that is not all that good, compared to most 70's funk...and few people until now seemed ready to admit it!

But, Victor has some people that are in his family writing songs, so of course he is not going to admit it sucks....

Victor Wooten is the world;s greatest bass player..he should be making recordings that show it! I would so much love to hear him do a stylish, current and relevant Marcus Miller's "silver rain"!!

Do a search and check my "open letter to Victor Wooten: thread! Read how many people seemed to have a problem with it! It is truly amazing...almost as if I had said "fieldy is a great bass player".......that's the strong reaction I got!

PS, one of these posters said the first track was, it's not.....the song is "Victa" and is a lame and cheesy 80's style song, much in the style of Milli Vanilli!
  12. OH yeah, they opened up with Victa. I was about ready to go home after that. I'm not really sure that Victor Wooten cares much about what people think of him. If I was on his level, you wouldn't be able to tell me anything. If he enjoys playing the music he plays I say more power to him!! Whether we'd like to him play else or not. It should never be about pleasing anyone other than yourself. I wish we could hear something more up to date and stylish from him, but hey, than he'd be playing for someone other than himself. He's still amazing, has made great strides in bass playing and has made some incredible music. He's just currently not doing what I'm in to. So if I want to hear amazing playing with the musical taste I prefer, I'll be woodshedding till like, I DIE!!, or I'll be spinning some freakin ADAM NITTI TUNES :bassist: !!!!!!
  13. Well, it's a matter of personal taste...

But for me, I love all of Victor Wooten's stuff. His old solo-bass albums and his new CDs. I love "Live In America", "Soul Circus", "Yin Yang", "What Did He Say", as well as "A Show Of Hands." I'm really digging his latest compositions. I'm not too much into the rapping in Soul Circus (although the rapping in Yin Yang was sweet), but I don't downright dislike it.

It's all a matter of musical taste. :)