Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

<<Victor Wooten Style>>

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dirtyslappopper, Nov 1, 2002.

1. I just started listening to some Victor Wooten stuff and I'm totaly amazed, I'm baffled by how he plays. Does he just slap with thumb and pop with index and middle fingers like normal(just really ****ing fast) or is there some secret I'm not getting. If anyone could tell me a little bit about it I'd appreciate it. Thx Bros:) 12 Comic Sans MS sky blue

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Victor has a number of cunning techniques. When slapping he sometimes uses his thumb to slap the note as it does down and then pop the note as it comes up. (Called double-thumbing). He also uses left hand slaps as a percussive effect and left hand hammer ons (almost like tapping) to play other pitched notes.

Have experimented with these techniques I've found that you need low action and fairly low tension to pull it off and as fat string and medium action person I'v reverted to conventional slap techniques.

Try visiting Victor's website - I think he has some lessons there pertaining to his slap technique.

Alex

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    heh woot is the man

gotta see him live, the guy is amazing

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Gonna see him tomorrow with the 'tones, it's gonna be great. First time in years they play in Germany again AFAIK.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    wooten is a god live, sooo much better live than on recordings.
    I saw the flecktones live a month ago, it was totally awesome.
    yea
    double-thumb is the primary techinique that victor uses to hit a lot of notes combine that with hammer ons and index middle it ends up being a sort of refined flamenco strum for just one string(at a time) :)

7. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    another technique that vic uses is the OHP....open hammer pluck

its when u slap one note...then hammer-on another..then pluck another

this technique makes you sound like your playing faster than you actually are!!!

vic rules

joel

8. Thx for the tips guys>. Cool ****

9. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    On the bass day 98 video, Vic shares some of his technique. He does the double thumb technique followed by a double pluck (index then middle). He also does all four (thumb down, thumb up, index pluck, middle pluck) on the same string to run lines. Very fast, and with the attitude of plucking.

You should check out his website. He has lessons on the open hammer technique and additional things.
    http://www.victorwooten.com