Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Wooten tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by TheLastMinute, Jul 2, 2002.

1. TheLastMinute

TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    I dont know about you guys but I am having the hardest time finding tabs online for this guy. I have the Victor Wooten "Show of Hands" cd and i love it. So naturaly I wanna learn how to play the songs. Ive tried tabbing them out myself but I just cant seem to get a grasp on some of the rhythems and such. If anyone knows of any sites that have some good tabs on him let me know. And if you feel like actually tabbing them out yourself that would be great too. Any help is appreciated.

2. TheLastMinute

TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    Come on guys.......a lot of you knew where to find primus and how to play that this is just the same........

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i think the tabs section on this website has most of "classical thump" figured out,i can play some of it too,very fun!

4. TheLastMinute

TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    Thanks man......but thats one of 2 that I can already play.:)

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I'd really love to hear that, mate :rolleyes:

You won't be finding much tablature around pertaining to Wooten's material, I can tell ya that. If you're looking to play his stuff down to a fine art, I think you may be setting your sights a tad high - you sound like one of these young bass dudes all topped up with blinding ambition. That's great, but you may be in for a big disappointment some way down the track. Wooten's playing is incredibly technical on about a hundred levels, and I severely doubt that you've managed to master any of the avant garde techniques which he makes use of in most of his pieces.

If you just refuse to believe it, go and do anything in your power to get ahold of this video - "Victor Wooten Live at Bass Day 1998". Might give you a bit of insight into the incredibly involved techniques which he's using to get all those notes across. Might destroy you mentally, too.

6. Don't forget his best song, A Show Of Hands!

I need that tabbed....

and hey while were on the topic of Victor, Im going to hopefully meet him soon! probably even jam with him a bit...

im going to look so inisgnificant next to him... ahha

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Since the ORIGINAL question hasn't gotten answered yet, I won't close this, but let's see that all FOLLOWING posts pertain to the topic at hand. We don't need a pissing contest.

8. Vic said it, dont try and copy what i did but what i meant to say, or words to that effect. I cant play much wooten stuff, but by listening to him i have developed my own version of double thumbing and thumb and finger rakes. No one knows these songs anyway so dont waste all your time learning them, try some yourself with similar techniques, that would be far more valuable.
    My 2 cents.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Visit the site for Hudson Music, who publish the Bass Day 98 DVD. They have transcriptions of some of the music.

Note, it is in standard notation rather than tab, but you could always buy the DVD if you want to see that hand positions Victor uses.

Wulf

10. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    , I think you may be setting your sights a tad high - you sound like one of these young bass dudes all topped up with blinding ambition. That's great, but you may be in for a big disappointment some way down the track. Wooten's playing is incredibly technical on about a hundred levels, and I severely doubt that you've managed to master any of the avant garde techniques which he makes use of in most of his pieces.

Hey man don't listen to that... i never listened to that kinda bull and went out trying to play the hardest sounding stuff i had ever heard and am the best bass player i have been witness to for the time i've been playing..... GO WILD! YOU CAN DO IT!:D

11. http://www.basstabarchive.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?search=w/wooten_victor/

the bass tab archive has five tabs
    i have no idea how good they are cause all i can do is listen to victor cause his playing scares the crap out of me.
    Amazing Grace
    Wooten Victor - Classical Thump
    Wooten Victor - Imagine This
    Wooten Victor - Me And My Bass Guitar
    Wooten Victor - What Did He Say

thats whats on there

stu

12. jpcontreras

jpcontreras

Dec 23, 2002
    I CANT BELIEVE YOU KNOW CLASSICAL THUMB. I KNOW THE FIRST PART, BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE REST. IT'S TOO CONFUSING. IF YOU KNOW IT PLEASE POST SOMETHING UP OR RECORD SOMETHING....ANYTHING TO HELP US TO LEARN IT. THANKS

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Please do not type in all caps. On the internet, doing so is considered "shouting" and is perceived as rude.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    WHAT!? ;)

15. How old are you kid? You put birthday "N/A". That and your writing style tells me ya might be Oh, I dunna, around 15? Fill out your profile.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    First of all, Terry, you are 15, so I don't know who I would be calling "kid", if I were you.

Second of all, resurrecting a thread with the purpose of talking down to other members is a no-no. There is no point to doing something like that. Keep your posts in the Tab forum on topic, please.

17. Sorry Superduck!
    I call lots of people "kid". People my age, people younger, people older. It's just my style thats all. (I picked it up from my math teacher, strange huh?)
    I know I'm fifteen, but usually when people seem to be Bulls***ing us, they're usually fifteen.
    But thats all, not saying he was really, just a little suspicious.
    Sorry again.:)

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bah, it's all good. I have a friend who talks like that as well. It comes off a little different when you are talking in real life as opposed to over the internet.

19. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Give credit where it's due. Terry may be fifteen but I'd say his post suggests he's learning and developing his style from other Talkbassers.

Of course, they may not always be the the best choice of mentors ;). Mind you, that does have nothing to do with Victor Wooten tabs!

Wulf

ps. Terry - are you sure you're not Bruce Lindfield in disguise? :D