1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Victor Wooten Technique!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by kaggeman, May 12, 2006.

1. Want to know anything, ask!:bassist:

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Victor plays double bass?

3. I think he has one but he doesn't use it. why?

4. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    To a (limited) degree yeah, but it's not his "voice" and I don't think he really puts that much focus on it at all. I've only ever heard it on one tune of his.

6. yes he does play double bass.. i've seen a video of him with bela fleck and the flecktones "going back to their roots" (vic on double bass, futureman on kit, bela on classical guitar, and the keyboardist just playin a grand piano).. and yes he's mad good at it

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Dunno. Just thought I'd ask.

8. But, they don't have a keyboardist...

9. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    This feels very similar to the time I started my thread about Jimmy Blanton's arco soloing technique with gut strings, and it didn't really catch on, and people were asking me like what was his string spacing at the bridge and what was his fingerboard radius and whether or not he had a neck-through or a bolt-on bass, and then I realized...

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Blanton was a Bartolini endorser, right? I think Wooten's in the latest glossy Testore ad.

11. I saw Victor playing blackberry blossom on a cello during a brief acoustic segment of a show. Thought it was pretty cool. I figured a big ol' upright bass didn't fit on the bus. :hyper: :hyper:

12. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Howard Levy played harmonica and keyboard with Bela.

13. I want to see him live, Why can't he just come toSweden for mee:D:D

14. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    You have posters of Vic on your bedroom wall, don't you?

15. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    :smug:

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had a great ego boost one time, when I had a run of gigs with the great keyboardist Hugo Fatturoso. These shows were lined up by trumpeter Gary Gazaway. There were actually two rhythm sections that alternated nights over the course of the gigs; one was myself and the late great Lloyd Grace on drums, and the other was Victor Wooten (on electric) and the phenomenal Joel Taylor. We all had a grand time. When we were done, Gary told me that Hugo had said to him, "When we do this again, make sure you get those guys back again", and of course Gary replied, "Yeah, Vic and Joel are great" (they are!). But Hugo said, "No, no... I mean Marcus and Lloyd.....those guys are the s**t!" Made me feel pretty good.

What Vic does with a slab is pretty obscene. Great musician.

17. actually, no. I can't find any. You can't buy a **** here in sweden:D:bassist:

18. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I think some people might be confusing the double bass forum for a double-thumb forum . . .

19. hehe=) yeah maby but what the heck=)

20. My new goal in life is to play side by side With Vic on Bass day.!