Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Wooten: Two hands - Two basses!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Slater, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I was thinking of the time I saw the Flecktones a few years ago, and I was remembering Victor Wooten's very impressive solo portion of the show. At one point during his solo, Victor stepped over to a bass mounted on a stand and flipped up-side-down (as if it were to be played left handed - and, kind of, was). Then, Victor began playing bass lines on his strapped-on bass with his left hand, and the stand-mounted bass with his right. I was blown-away then, and I still am!

Can anyone tell me if Victor performs this feat on any of the Bass Day videos, or any other video tape. I would love to have a video of Victor doing this "two-at-once" performance.

Thanks...

[Edited by Slater on 12-06-2000 at 04:10 PM]

2. mike manring does it with 4 on the 98 bass day tape, vics on there also

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  4. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i see victor wooten every year and i never get tired of it. It's amazing.

5. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Sounds like a Manring vs. Wooten cage-match

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sunday! sunday! sunday! right here! you'll pay for the whole seat, but you'll only use the edge! :D

7. manring might whip out the e-bow

8. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    I heard that vic did something like that at a Show recently, maybe NYC with the flecktones, checkout some tape trader pages!

9. I just saw him on Thursday on his Yin/Yang tour. He did it with both basses strapped on. The man was just a maniac that night. He had a Fodera NYC (with graphite neck) with a cable coming out of the headstock...he was swinging the bass in the air, flipping it on the floor, all sorts of crazy stuff....but it was always musical. At one point, he totally detuned his bass till the strings were flopping, and he did a percussion type solo...sounded like a djembe...

I've seen him a twice now on his solo tour, and saw him play a lot at his camp. However, he always seems to come up with something new to keep us delighted.

10. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I need to learn to do that.................SERIOSLY.. i need to start playin some of his ...stuff

11. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I saw Manring play 5 at a clinic at guitar wanker(center). He wore 3 and had two people hold two basses in front of him. What a nut!

12. I just got Victor's Bass Day '98 video. He doesn't play 2 basses, doesn't do any tricks.

But what he DOES do simply leaves me awestruct.

Inspirational.

Later.