Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

victor wooten, you cant hold no groove

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cassanova, Jan 4, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    What in the sam hill is that man doing on that song? It sounds like he's slapping/popping, doing some purcussive attacks with his fretting hand on the fretboard on beats 2 & 4. Im having a really hard time decoding the techniques used on this one for some reason.

I really love the way he just took the bass and laid it all down, kinda reminds me of that music where ya see a bunch of good ole boys jammin, you know the kind, where ya see a dude blowin into an empty cider jug.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, i still can't figure that tune out...

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I just gave the cd to my brother and he used Sound Forge to slow it down to 1/2 time and then burned it onto a disc for me. Its still a son of a gun at 1/2 speed. :mad:

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Most of the percussive stuff he's doing is his "double thumb" technique. Do a search in the "Technique" forum and you should be able to find a lot more info on it, but basically, Vic hits the thumb down through the string, then thumbs back up through the same string before popping. In one swing of the wrist he can rattle off 4 hits creating a "slap-slap-pop-pop" sound. He explains this technique on the "Victor Wooten Live at Bass Day 1998" video (he also does the song on the video). He's got this technique down so well, he can do this (thumb down slap, thumb up slap, pop, pop) all on any one string very quickly. It's an amazing thing to watch.

Add that to his mastery of tapping & harmonics...

- Frank.

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    That is a great song, but I'm not sure it's double thumping....oh well...it's still good.

6. Yeah, Vic uses a lot of the Double Thumbing. I had an instructor who was a huge Vic freak and had mastered that stuff. Amazing. I could never implement it into anything I played, kind of a required taste. I found the method very useful when applied the same way fingerstyle, though.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    OT, but your avatar is terrifying!:eek:

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get the Bass Day 98 DVD for some visual pointers, he plays it at the beginning of the show.

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I want to get that too man.

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    If you read the liner notes, he sang that song backwards when he recorded it, then reversed it.
    Try speaking whole sentences backwards, that's tough to do! :)

He does a breakdown on that song on his home instructional video. It's a little different than the one he does on the disc, but still pretty damn cool. :cool:

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?