Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Edwidge, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Edwidge

Edwidge

Mar 23, 2000
    Hey!!

I just saw a tape my son picked up on this guy Victor Wooten. Excuse me but I have never seen his name come up around here before, but he IS the best bassist in the world!! He makes Getty Lee sound as bad as me.

What do you folks think?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Victor is definately an awesome musician. I'm sure you will find plenty on him here if you go to search. I personally love his stuff, but you will get 10 different responses on the 10 best bass players. He has a nice website under http://www.victorwooten.com.
    Doc

3. Edwidge

Edwidge

Mar 23, 2000
    Thanks Doc, I'll check it out!

4. Edwidge

Edwidge

Mar 23, 2000
    XavierG,
    Tried to open your streamer, just got a blank page.

5. VW is AWESOME!I had never ever heard(no pun intended)of him until talkbass.com.If you get a chance pick up his Show of Hands cd.You won`t believe what one man and one 4 string bass can do!!!The whole cd is just him and his bass,utterly fantastic!

Usul

6. Victor is a really great showman, lotsa chops. But in my opinion lacks soul at times. I love seeing him live. I have met him as well as performed with him. A "Show of Hands" is great so is "Three Flew Over the CucKoo's Nest" from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

7. vics ok but i have seen him take longer solos than a guitar player.

give it a rest

8. Vic does have chops and is a great show man. IMO he also knows when to serve the song with soul and feel. Check out Tales From The Acoustic Planet for Vic in understated mode.

You lucky dog, how did you get to play with him ??

9. Edwidge

Edwidge

Mar 23, 2000
    I am not sure I can agree with the statement "Lacks Soul". Any player when they get fast and fancy will have to sacrifice some "feel" for the "effect". But if you have a chance to see him perform Norwegan Wood on one of the Bass Day tapes that feature him as one of the guests(sorry can't remember which tape),you might re-think that statement.

Thanks for the imput!

10. I have already heard it. I own everything he has ever recorded. Dont get me wrong, his stuff is fun to play on bass. But IMO his compositions just do not have much substance. He's a blast to see live and a great person who will forever be regarded as one of the greats.

[Edited by Zonplayer on 01-17-2001 at 09:09 AM]

11. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Alright. Here's my rant.
    I'm tired of this "so and so is too fast, he has no feeling" crap. To me, being technically proficient in your instrument gives you a way to express your feelings,soul,karma,buddist doctrine even more. I don't buy into this less is more crap. Music that is busy injects feelings into my psyche that music that is slow, boring, repetitive doesn't, can't, and has never been able to do. It just tells me the player playing doesn't care enough about me, himself, or his instrument to be the best he can be.
    Of course, the preceding is my opinion. And you know what they say about those....

12. I agree that Victa is awesome. He's the guy that influenced me to pick up the bass. I heard Amazing Grace/Improv and Sinister Minister and other songs of the Flecktones Live Art Album and it just blew me away. Definately my top pick for best bassist in the world. I'd like to attend his bass/nature camp someday too.