1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eli V, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Eli V

Eli V

Dec 3, 2016
    Victor Wooten is coming to my town should I go or is it not worth it. I'm not to familiar with his work.

nolaguy likes this.
  2. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Seriously??

Yes, you should go. /thread

Skeptismo, nolaguy, Pumpkin and 7 others like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You know his name and that he's a bass player. You know those bits of information but you've never heard his music? You should look it up on youtube. There's a lot there.

Jhengsman and Eli V like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This can't not be some clever trolling. Not the traditional type, but clever in a unique and simple way.

5. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Yes you should go and yes it would be worth it.
    In the same amount of time it took you to post this, you could have gone to YouTube and watched him play so would could make an informed decision.

nolaguy and Eli V like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. Not only is he a great musician but he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. He usually sticks around after the show to talk to anyone who wants to. I attended his camp in 2001. I would have enjoyed being around him and his friends/family if we had never plucked a bass all week.

7. Eli V

Eli V

Dec 3, 2016
    ;)

8. steve_ss

steve_ss Shiny, let's be bad guys. Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Southern NJ, USA
    If you don't want to go, buy me a ticket and I'll go and report back on the great show you missed. Where are you located and when is the show?

Eli V likes this.
  9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    depends how much I figure

Eli V likes this.
  10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Yes definitely go. He may not be your typical bassist, but you'll get a first rate example of what a bass guitar is capable of.

socialleper and Eli V like this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Go, just... go.

Eli V likes this.
  12. Eli V

Eli V

Dec 3, 2016
    I'm definitely going. He seems like a kick-ass player and an awesome dude

13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    He is definitely a very talented bass player, have his own unique approach to what playing bass should be, as well as he seems like a nice guy too.

I would probably go too if I had the chance.

Even if I don't understand his choice of tone and his music doesn't speak to me, his bass playing does.

socialleper and Eli V like this.
  14. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'd go, sure to be a good show. I saw him a few years ago, it was good. But I did get pretty bored about 1/2 way through.

Eli V likes this.
  15. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Guy is good.

Eli V likes this.
  16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, he puts on a GREAT show. I've seen him twice, once with the "Victor Wooten Band" with four bass players, two drummers and a singer, and once with the Wooten Brothers. Both shows were amazing. And not just for bass chops - my wife came to both and had a great time. It's a shame he's only "jazz famous."

Eli V likes this.
  17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Just Go.

Eli V likes this.
  18. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Amazing musician and bassist. . Wouldn't miss him! Even if I had to stand in the rain as he played by himself in a tent . .

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    el_Bajo_Verde, design and Eli V like this.
  19. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Truly puts on a great performance. I've seen him with his band and just the duo with drums, both were outstanding concerts. I have two of his albums, which I don't listen to an awful lot, but his skills live are awe inspiring.

His duo concert with JD blair had no opener, lasted just shy of 4 hours, and left us entertained the entire time.

He is incredibly kind. Got to chat and shake his hand after the other concert. Just do it.

Eli V likes this.
  20. Supadope

Supadope

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    I am sometimes gassy.
    A friend of mine just turned me on to this video of him giving a commencement speech to this year's graduating class at the University of Vermont. He is a great man and a great bassist.