Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Apr 2, 2001.

1. What bass and amp does Vic use?

2. Thanks!

3. Him and JT should swap 8-strings =) hehe

are those whammy bars on his basses??

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yupp, a Kahler vibrato...

5. nice.

does billy sheehan have one as well.. I was listening to this song NV43345 and he bends the harmonics down and it's awesome.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, he bends the neck forward.
    Grab the upper horn of your bass with your right hand and push towards your body. Push the neck forward with your left hand.
    That's it.

7. Beelzebob

Beelzebob Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Hooksett, NH
    Really! Wow, I would be so afraid that I would snap the neck right off. Wonder what kind of sound that makes?

8. eep.. I don't think I'll be trying that any time soon!

you know the song I'm talking about right? does he play it with the bass strapped on like normal or does he have it in his lap?

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He has the bass strapped on. He always emphasises to wear the bass high enough so the height always stays the same (sitting and standing). Just make sure the strap doesn't slip off when you try this.

@ Beelzebob: This just lowers the string tension on all four strings, like a 'dive bomb'`with a guitar vibrato would. Billy Sheehan uses it to go down a half-tone or for vibrato.
    Check out his videos for that, especially his Bass Day 98 Video. He explains it pretty thoroughly.

10. Beelzebob

Beelzebob Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Hooksett, NH
    Still, ouch. I've done it before, but to get anything useful, I would be so weary that I would just pop it off. Also, my Wenge neck on my sixer isn't the easiest thing to bend. Okay, it's just the fingerboard that is wenge, but still, it's hard!