Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by templelife, Apr 30, 2001.

1. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I want to purhase a CD of Mr. Wooten's music, but i'm at a lost as to which one to buy. Can someone please give me their opions of he's best work and most inspiring.

Tnanks!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Either A Show Of Hands (solo) or Live Art (Flecktones)

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Any of his three solo works are great. The difference is that "A show of hands" features his Fodera basses alone with voices. "What did he say?" and "Ying Yang" include other musicians. One of the great things about Victor's music is that it's very enjoyable aside from being technically hard. Many musicians want to show what they can play, but they don't think in making music. Victor is one of the exceptions to this rule. Check out "More love" from "A show of hands", for instance. This is one of the most beautiful songs you can hear. "Classical thump" is really enjoyable and it will make your jaws drop. His version of "Norwegian wood" from "What did he say?" is terrific and "Kaila speaks" from "Yin Yang" shows you what you can do (musically) with a baby's voice.

I love Victor's work. He's really a man that has been blessed with a lot of talent. :)

4. I like when he does funkier stuff, but on his album "Ying Yang" some of the songs, well, in my opinion, suck. The playing is of course technically impressive but they aren't good songs, more of a showcase for Victor's amazing bass skills. Not trying to be an @$$, that's just my opinion. :D

5. i just bought a CD...it has a duet w/ Steve Bailey on a 6 string fretless and Victor Wooten on a 5 string...it's a great CD...well worth the money i paid...$17.99...it also features other musicians such as Greg Bissionette

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, on the Bass Extremes CD, Wooten used his regular 4 string (EADG) and his 4 string tenor bass (ADGC).

7. tomtrb

tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Be careful, some of vic's work may make you want to give up the bass entirely. Then again, it may inspire you to great heights. If your looking for amazing technical ability, get A Show of Hands. Other than that, I recommend any of the Bela Fleck & the Flecktones albums, especially Outbound.

8. The first thing I ever heard by Victor was "Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" with Bela Fleck & the Flecktones. I like this one a lot. The album is of the group condensed to a trio. There is a lot of improv and jamming on the album which you might not find on their newer albums.