Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Dec 12, 2001.

1. this

85 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. that

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey has anyone ever seen this video? I havent yet seen it but am thinking of buying it! Is it cool?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's $20. How can you go wrong? Wooten spills the beans about his right hand approach for a lot cheaper than the "Super Solo" whatever tape. The "Vulcan Worlds" number with his brother Regi is pretty cool. There's also a neat bit where he shows off his Boomerang looping stompbox. Spoiler alert: Oteil Burbridge shows up for the final jam, which goes on a little long.

There's some dead time where some cheesy guy in the audience asks him to guide him in the ways of the Force, but that's about it as far as misses are concerned.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Cool my wife is going to get it for me for cristmas and i was just hoping it wouldnt suck azz!

4. I was fortunate enough to be at bass day 98 ,and it was an amazing experience.There were some incredible bass players attending the show as well:Anthony Jackson,Matt Garrison,Muzz Skillings etc..Personally,i thought the jamm Oteil did with Victor and Regi was awesome.In my book Oteil is pretty much without peer when it comes to his soloing.Listen to his playing on " The strangers hand" particularily "pinky's revenge" His speed and sence of melody is awe inspiring.
    Happy holidays.

P E A C E

5. For all the Vic heads, he's gong to be in Annapolis (Ram's Head) on the 27th - but then you probably already knew that. :D

The complete tour schedule is on both Vic's and JD Blair's web site.

6. Don't know if you know this or not, but stick around after the show. He'll come out to meet with fans, sign autographs, take photos, talk, etc. if the venue allows, which I'm sure it will. I got this piece of info from fellow TBers last summer and met him and Bela Fleck after a show. My photo with me and Vic is a treasured possession now. No, I'm not gay!!

Have fun, and get close to the stage.

Mark

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Caught the Flecktones last spring. Victor was happy to hang out with the fans after the show.
    Doc

8. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    That is so awesome. He's coming to Indianapolis next month and i've got my tickets. Thanks for the info about hanging around after the show.

fisk

9. That is so cool I'm going to see him on the 31'st in Rochester, I am so pissed I don't have a pick guard on my bass.:mad: I'll see if I can get a pic with him, I'll post if I do.:)

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Holy ****!!! I work at a small college in VT and just got an email from Performiing Arts that Bela Fleck and the Flecktones will be here in Feb. This is a small venue (maybe 1200 seats). Now if I can overcome my shyness and go up and meet Victor. You can bet I will be up front for the show.:D

11. Awesome! I've never been to Ram's Head though. Can I buy tickets there or do I have to get them through ticketmaster or something?

12. Don't be shy, Vic's one of the most down-to-earth, "real" guys out there.

And I'll take a photo over an autograph anyday...

13. Yea - I'm going to catch him at Irving Plaza in NYC ... should be great!

:D

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If it's anything like Marcus Miller's local appearances, you could probably take out almost every MD/DC/VA bassist:D. I think I might have been the only one not in attendance.

I think I'll try to go. I'll probably be working that night.

15. Check out their web site....

http://www.ramsheadtavern.com/

16. I got a video on Kaaza of Wooten jamming with the DMB, that was pretty nutty. He sounds a lot better when he's not trying to play as many notes as possible and trying more for melody. It wasn't his best stuff I've heard but watching his right hand was almost scary. When he was slapping it looked like something out of a tool video, it was jerky looking and just generally unreal. To sum it up, that Victor is a crazy crazy guy.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I heard about that and tried to get an audio version, but the sound quality was so bad I got rid of it. I didn't even know there was a video version. I'll have to check that out.

18. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Cool. What track was it Jimi Thing? #41? And what was the file name? I'm currently looking for loads of DMB live stuff. Unfortunatley the Listner Supported DVD is not available over here in the UK:(.
    Thanks

Matt

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The version I heard was Ants Marching, but there are probably one or two more songs that they played toghether on.

20. The one I heard/saw was just a clip of Victor's solo. It was pretty low quality too, all you could hear was the bass/drums.