Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Dec 12, 2001.

1. this

85 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. that

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    +1...alot of the other musicians i know think of him as being the greatest. he is by far the flashiest, and he does things that even non-bass players can see as being difficult. a guy like james jamerson on the other hand, is seen as being the greatest more by bass players. this is because you almost have to play bass to understand the great impact that jamerson had on the instrument.

2. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I met him last summer.
    He's a very down-to-earth individual.

To my ears, he's as tasteful as it gets.

He never overplays.

His solos are self indulgent, but all solos are.

His songwriting suffers somewhat, I'll admit, but he's not afraid to try anything it seems.

Right now, I consider him to be the best electric bassist in the world.

3. I have not heard any of Vic's stuff in a band contest, but as far a chop-kings like Vic, it's fun to watch, but I don't worry myself with learning all that useless stuff like double thumping. People like to see it for like 45 seconds then lose interest. I would like to know if anyone has, honestly, listened intently all the way through Classical Thump. I really don't know anything that happens after about 15 seconds of double thumping, it's not interesting.

It's all about what you can do in a band context.

4. I have, many times.

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Check out "Live In America".

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    His solo stuff is pretty terrible. He's talented, and I love his Flecktones work... but solo stuff... bleaccccccckkk.

7. Basshammer

Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    How anyone with a brain could say Victor Wooten "sucks" is beyond me. Even two people voting that way is too many. I think it's pretty obvious that's he's amazing at bass.

8. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    So have i, its just amazing, and the melody that goes with it, outstanding stuff..

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Awesome player (duh...)

I love his work with the Flecktones and he inspired me to learn double thumping.

But his solo albums just don't do anything for me, alas. (On a side note, I feel the same way when it comes to Jaco Pastorius and Chris Squire. I love Jaco's playing with Weather Report and Squire's playing with Yes, but their solo and other projects just don't connect with me for the most part.)

10. i noticed a lot of people saying they don't like his solo stuff, but i thought that was what he did best. For me, the album "A Show of Hands" goes right next to "Jaco Pastorius" and "School Days"

11. Suckbird

Suckbird Inactive

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So after hearing people say stuff like "He's the bassist of the century" and "Greatest musician ever" i decided to check him out...

i listened to a bunch of songs people always seems to talk about for example classical thump, sinister minister, me and my bass guitar and so on...

and to be honest, i thought most of the stuff sounded like crap...

the only song i actually liked was amazing grace, but it's not even his own song...

i hated every single he slapped, and it seems like slapping is supposed to be what he's most famous of...

It's not like i dont like flashy bassplaying, i love billy sheehan but i also like bassplayers like rutger gunnarsson of ABBA so it's not like it's hard to impress me but to me victor wootens bassplaying doesn't come out as flashy, everytime he starts to double thump it feels sloppy, the sound is thin and weak and all the notes sounds different....

even if victor wooten was 15years old and a good friend of mine, i wouldn't be impressed by his bassplaying in the slightest...

his fingerstyle is nothing special at all and his double thumping sounds like poo... why dont he play songs like donna lee fingersyle? My guess is, he's not good enough

He's the greatest bassist in the world and he plays an expensive bass and he still doesn't even sound good, that's of course just my opinion..

By the way, i will of course be flamed for this and this thread might aswell be banned because my opinion is a bit different compared to most bassists on this forum but as long as it's allowed to flame bassists like Billy Sheehan, John myung and a buttload of other bassplayers i dont see anything wrong with me having an opinion...

so, Victor Wooten - what's the big deal?

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I personally like vic wooten. I like his tone, and his playing style. I have no interest however in his solo work. Most of his solo albums do not appeal to me at all. But his work with Bela Fleck and The Flecktones, I love. I think he lays down a great groove on some songs, and he has some great leads. I think his playing can be very impressive. But I think everybody has their own opinions on what is amazing and what isn't. Just because you dont think vic wooten is amazing isn't going to change my opinion of him, and my opinion shouldn't change yours.

13. Any of his solo stuff is just kinda- meh. Not great. I think he attempts a little to hard to be the greatest sometimes, so it comes out sloppy, but thats rare. Check out his stuff with the Flecktones. Its cool. I personally dig his tone. I think its got nice booty with still just enough of everything else.

Maybe he's not the greatest player ever. I don't think he is, never have, but think, is Billy Sheehan the greatest bass player ever? No. I hate Billy because he shreds. He dosen't play 'bass,' he plays guitar stuff on a bass. John Mynung is cool too, but again, not the greatest. He plays somewhat simple stuff most of the time. Cool solos, and it sounds great, but nothing half the players on this site cant do. I can do alot it if, stuff like Peruvian Skies or These Walls (awsome songs).

No one is really the greatest player EVER. There are great players that are each great in they're own sense. Maybe you don't think Wooten's the S#!*, but don't put him down for it. Give each player respect for what they do. And check out some of his other stuff, especially with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones before you really put him down.

14. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
  15. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Wow.... thanks for sharing that, Jeff.

16. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    Vic deserves some respect, hes a great player. Leave it at that. If you don't like him, oh well, if you do, oh well. I personally like him. No ones going to flame you for your opinion man, its just an internet forum. Chillz

17. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think that it's hard to get a proper impression of Victor Wooten just by listening to a few songs. I couldn't fully appreciate his music until I saw him in concert, and of course my respect for him tripled when I went to his bass/nature camp. It's really amazing to see Victor and his crew do what they do... a group of really genuine musicians in the broadest sense.

18. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I have been feeling an emptiness in my life.

Reading your opinions, Suckbird, how you think Vic's stuff sounds like crap, how you hate his slapping, his tone... thin and weak, his technique sloppy, I feel so enriched by your words.

Then you outdid yourself, saying that his double-thumping "sounds like poo." I now feel complete. Thank you so much, Suckbird, for sharing with us your insightful words of wisdom.

Being accustommed to bass players being supportive of the music and eachother, I had almost forgotten why I never bother coming to this board, anymore.

19. What I've heard from Vic's music tells me he's amazing technically no doubt... but in the process sounds too wankerish...

I appreciate the likes of Marcus Miller much more. That is just me, though...

20. Well, you were right of the being flamed part. :) Anyway, it's cool dude, we all have players we dont like.

But everyone has to like jaco...I mean, come on Heavy Weather is awesome...

ok, we dont all have to like jaco either, or vic. Or Billy. Or Myung. Or Me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021