Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Dec 12, 2001.

1. this

85 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. that

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. :D

He is right. I don't see why people start threads like this just to bust on players they have heard about what... 3 songs of? Well Talkbass is a wonderful forum but I am getting tired of this too. (I once started threads like this but I have grown to learn that they are just a waste of space and time)

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1

Amazing in Flecktones,.... I don't even wanna talk about his rapping, magic filled, techno world solo career. Live in America was probably the album i regret buying the most. ever.

3. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    Jaco is the only bassplayer till now I dont like ..although he was a great bassplayer. I just dont like his attitude (ego) and i dont like the fender sound.

I have never listened to anything of wooten yet, mainly cos i hear his name too much... but maybe I will now..just to see what all the fuzz is about.

i cant open that solo:meh:

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Inactive

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Jaco Pastorious? Haven't heard to much from him either, except donna lee, portrait of tracy, teen town and maybe a few other songs..

dont know why but this guy impressed more than jaco did..

[/QUOTE]
    Sounded pretty damn boring all through to mee..

5. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    +1 Myung
    Can't go wrong w/ Dream Theater :bassist:

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I like his groove, I don't like his solo stuff, like I said, the DT on Norwegian Wood is just...distasteful imo, especially when a guy like Otheil Burbridge (sp) is playing along.

7. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I like the Flecktones stuff and his solo stuff, both very inspirational, and his material on 'Soul circus' was more solid, which was still great, love the grooving on it, and the tone..

Victor wooten is a great bassist, and i have a lot of respect for him.

8. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    Am I the only one who tinks there is no place for threads like this? Am I missing something of value in it?

9. I agree that album sucks - but as a musician and bass player I think Vic is very special - the reason posts like the one at the top of this thread are somewhat justified is the way tha sometimes a player - in any field of music - can be held above others - there is no such thing as the best ever etc - it simply doesn't exist!

I had a very enlightening conversation with Joh Patitucci on Friday (I interviewed him for a UK bass magazine) and he's a really interesting guy - mainly because he looks at music as music and not just as a bass orientated thing - no surprise there but I think we all need to take our heads out of the 'cult of bass' thing and try and open our ears and our minds to an entire world of music.

Wooten is a great all-round musician and while there are a ton of guys who copy him (including me to some extent), he really does have his own sound, groove and musical ideas - even if his funk stuff sucks IMO - I've seen him live four times and at least two of those gigs were two of the greatest live gigs I've ever been to.

My advice is listen to lots and lots of players and enjoy each one for what they do well and don't compare them to harshly - variety is the spice of life and wouldn't it be dull if we were all the same - or liked the same thing? I think so..

M

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    This is where I am. His solo stuff is technically interesting, but his greatest moments are with the Flecktones.
    He has recorded some fantastic lines with the Flecktones that were not only advanced but perfect for the song.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I personally think there's nothing wrong with this thread, nor the original post that launched it.

I don't think the poster was over the top being negative. He simply was expressing the fact that he's not seeing what all the fuss is about.

Many of us have probably had this experience about different musicians, and the reasons why we respond differently are - very interesting.

His response to Victor is essentially what I have been feeling about the Stones since the beginning of time.
    :)
    :p

12. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    OK, but criticize the people who do that, not the player himself. Vic is an amazingly humble guy and more willing to share what he knows than most. It is not because of HIM that he is held up.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Question? Is it Victor's fault that he held in such high esteem?? Or any bassist for that matter? Bottom line is Victor Wooten has a distinct style of playing, in inate sense of timing & harmony and has made a mark on bassdom! Why have so many people copied his style? Or Jaco's? Or Marcus'?

14. If a bassist made it to a thread this many times without any controversy such a murder or something like that ..he must be doing something pretty well to say the least

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It's not because a player is one of the most copied and aknowledged players out there you have to like his music, you know ;)

16. you FAIL:scowl: No seriously. FAIL.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    First, thanks for this reference. I never saw these people before, and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to go look for more material.

On the other hand, depth of talent wise, that bass player, while a good player, isn't really in anywhere near a league that Jaco was.

We really Do owe Jaco alot. There are only a Couple of players in music history that had such a big influence on how people played after their time. In the bass world, James Jamerson and Jaco are those couple of players.

The combination of those two essentially makes up the Invention of Modern Bass Playing.

18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Now there's a first! I've read lots of posts in this forum, and I've never seen this guy's name before. So is Rutger Gunnarsson pretty hot? I'll admit I'm nearly totally unfamiliar with his work. Never listened to ABBA much. What's his best tune?

19. I'm not slagging Vic, at all, I've met him he's a first rate guy and an amazing educator, musician and person, plus I'm a fan of what he does.

What I am saying is that idolising people is a modern day disease that affects all areas of life - Vic is not to blame for this - it's a media thing it's also a society thing - fame tends to involve getting hyped beyond belief at the start only for a backlash to come as soon as something new arrives.

He's done some great stuff and some not so great stuff granted, anyone who strives to create new art/music is always going to have a hard time being consistent it's just the nature of the process, some things work some things don't - some of these get recorded - some don't!

To say "Big deal" to anything that some people love but doesn't appeal your taste is fine as long you acknowledge that taste is completely subjective - no one has ever said the way Vic plays bass is THE way to play it's one of many - take from it what you want, if you don't like it - don't listen to it instead of bitching about it - simple.

Thanks for reading this crap...:smug:

M

20. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    I don't hear bass that way.....I can listen to Jaco and Marcus solo because they play like jazz musicians. Anyone wo plays the bass like a "shred monster" is not for me.
    It's like: I don't want to go to Burger King and get a super deluxe whopper with extra cheese, bacon, garlic mayo, whipped cream, and a cherry on top with a side of deep fried snickers bars....I'd prefer to make myself a simple fresh salad and some grilled fish or something.
    But obviously I'm in the minority among bass players since Victor Wooten has been voted #1 bass player in every poll for the last, what, 13 years?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021