Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Dec 12, 2001.

1. this

85 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. that

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. In my book you can.

2. So very wrong...:)

3. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    I am with you... but the poster did not say that... He said Vic sounded like poo.

I know that is not true. I sound like poo and Vic doesn't sound like me so the poster is incorrect if only on a factual basis.:D

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My .02:

I respect Wooten for his ability to groove at least as much for his "pyrotechnics".

The man is so incredibly sound in so may areas that he simply blows my mind.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    And it looks all so chill..:(

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    haha! sweet.....

8. An opinion can't be wrong...

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    If Victor played shred metal Suckbird would probably be all over his stuff. :p

Personally, I think Victor's amazing, but I much prefer is playing with the Flecktones. I'd also like to argue that his fingerstyle playing is indeed quite "special" in my opinion.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If you like Dennis Chambers...it would be hard not to like Larry Bright.

10 years ago or so, there was a supposed 'project' comprised of Bright, Wooten, Frank Gambale, & Tom Coster. They did a clinic/concert down here...talk was there was supposed to a band, a cd, etc. Bright put out a cd called Double Standards w/ Gambale(& Gary Grainger)...I guess that's about as close as they got(?).

11. pete&petelives

pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    Every time I see Wooten on video he motivates me to barricade myself in my room and slap... for hours on end.:)

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    errrrrr.....slap your "bass" you mean, right? ;)

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

........and there you have it!!

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    :smug:

15. +1 - If nothing else Vic is one of the grooviest bass cats alive - he also so much more besides - but check out jam 4 - it's about as funky as funk gets - and Larry Bright is killing, just killing - very inspiring groovy sh!t...

More love to y'all

M

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That was fun.
    Thanks Matt.

17. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Doesnt like Victor, Jaco or Billy.

Righto - been drinking ?

18. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006

Noone's gonna flame you. However, I give you a week to learn me and my bass guitar and record yourself for us to hear your amazing technique (seeing as vic's is "nothing special at all") I'd sure like to hear you play his songs as fast and as precise as he does. Sure, his style is odd, I dont like his music, but his technique is amazing, and I'm amazed that you as a bassist dont see what the big deal is...

19. Suckbird

Suckbird Inactive

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Why? I practice quite a alot but i dont spend a single second on slapping...

did i say what he plays is easy? I said i dont like it, and i dont see any reason to practice countless of hours on something i dont even like...

i could probably spend years on slapping without being able to play what victor can but to me it doesn't matter how difficult something is if it doesn't even sound good...

20. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    lol ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021