Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Dec 12, 2001.

1. this

85 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. that

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Then dont say hes nothing special. Say you dont like his music, but the man sure is special, noone can play the bass the way he does as far as I know, and his uniqueness makes his playing very special imo. This isnt a matter of taste, more a matter of acknowledging that hes a great bassist even if he doesnt play what you like.

Saying his playing is nothing special at all sure makes it sound like you think its easy... Wooten's the bass version of Hendrix IMO :)

2. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    Wow you get off on ABBA and think victor sucks? I'm sure if you emailed vic he might do a nice version of waterloo for you on 2 basses at once.. But I can see your frustration after learning dancing queen note for note, and then trying to learn 30 seconds of anything victor ever played... :bawl:

3. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    I don't like his solo stuff, but you must be kidding me!!!! He is an amazing talent

4. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    those are the exact same reasons why i dont like jaco

i like wooten, dont really like his solo stuff, but like alot of bass players, u have to see him live to really see what he can do

5. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    He does use too much slapping but his technique is amazing no matter what. The man is having fun playing for god's sake, I dont see what is lame or useless about that.

6. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Inactive

Dec 2, 2004
    I am curious to the ages of Coincide and Suckbird. Victor and Marcus...yeah I guess that they are just fooling people with a few flashy tricks and have no musical content. Maybe that's why they get to play with some of the greatest musicians in the world and are considered legends and the best at their craft. Thanks for pointing that out to us, now we'll all have to go out and find real bass players like the guy from ABBA, it wouldn't be hard , he's probably working at the McDonalds in Sweden. Jaco, Marcus and Victor....Jaco was doing that **** 30 years ago Marcus was doing it 20+ and Victors been doing it for 10+ and do you know where we would be without the likes of these legends? I bet they can **** and be more musical than you two. Just saying that they aren't good shows how much you know about music and bass. Let me know when you release your CD's so I can see what real players sound like. Flame On!!

7. basshawk

basshawk

Dec 18, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I really, really, really really, really, think we're being baited here by coincide and suckbird. Just the ludicrous nature of the opening remark seemed like a giant hook. sheesh.

8. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    a big ol +1.

9. Victor Wooten is a good bassist, not the best or the greatest. I personally don't like all of his solo albums, but the album "What Did He Said" has very interesting tunes.

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Inactive

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I didn'tt say he suck, did i?

no i wouldn't like to hear a crappy double thump version...

yeah me too... the difference is that i dont wanna learn 30seconds of anythin victor ever played..

11. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    What is this? A 15 yr old jealous of a star? lol... get over yourself ^^

12. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    This is the first time ever i`ve seen/heard wooten play and my first reaction after seeing the clips was.. is that all?

Don`t get me wrong, he is absolutely a great bassplayer...but i dont see what the bg deal is. :bag:

I was more impressed about his tapping and fingerstyle skills then his slapping. Especialy the last clip when he constantly did the actaves was rather annoying.
    Basing my opinion on those 5 clips i must say that i have heard/seen better slappers with a better slapsound.

The drummer was awesome btw!:smug:

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well - it's only an off-the cuff jam with a drummer - what were you expecting...and for free...:meh:

14. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    yeah, even for just a jam it didn`t amazed me one bit.
    however, i can understand why other people think he is so great... if your playing for just a few years and see wooten play it probably looks and sounds like magic. but it`s not.

15. Suckbird

Suckbird Inactive

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Well, if i was the kind of guy who gets jealous then i would be more jealous on billy sheehan...also, does my age matter?

As i totally detest slapping i dont see how it in anyway could be possible for me to be jealous on wooten, i'm not and will never be.. don't try make it look like i am..

A star? He's well known by bassplayers, but really.. a star?

16. Suckbird

Suckbird Inactive

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Well, from my experience these clips are the better ones i've heard from wooten...

17. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    egotistical and patronizing at the same time... YOU WIN!

18. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    Yes, your age matters. You are going to change SO much in the next 10 years... Sometimes on a daily basis it will seem. Your tastes will change and your appreciation for things that are not your taste will change. Your age matters A LOT.

Your parents will start to get smart again and you will start to value those things that have been around longer than you.

Your screen name is not all you will end up regretting...

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Actually I think it's the other way round, so it's probably only those players with a bit of experience who can actually appreciate what makes him a good musician - much like Jaco - where you really have to understand a bit about Jazz to get the most out of what he's doing.

20. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    I wasnt being egotistical and I certainly wasnt trying to be patronizing.
    I was just thinking back when I played the bass for just a few years and heard bassplayers do the things what wooten did in the clips...for me it was magic back then.

Now after playing the bass for over half my life wooten did not not amaze me.. and i did not see the big deal around him.
    There are so many exelent (not me) totaly unknown slappers out there that probably beat the crap out of wooten in a bass duel.

wooten is great, but above all populair.... wich makes him maybe a bit over rated.

*Hides again :bag: :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021