Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Dec 12, 2001.

1. this

85 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. that

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Anybody who talks seriously about "bass duels" - must IMO have a very 'limited' idea of what music is about!! :meh:

2. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    *sigh.. i dont know why i`m even awnsering to this,but i dont have anything else to do atm.. so what the hell.:rolleyes:

The bassduel was just an example to make a point.. the point was that there are so many good bassplayers that are just as good or even better as wooten, but did not have the luck to be heard by the mass.. thats why I said wooten is above all a populair bassplayer. you dig?

I`m not even a week on this forum,but most of the posts i`ve seen of you Bruce gives me the idea that you think your all that and then some and only you know what music is all about.:eyebrow:

3. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Inactive

Dec 2, 2004
    When i was 15, I use to judge bassist by their apperance, if I didn't like their picture on the magazine cover I would think " That guys not good enough to get a cover." I used to think that Steve Harris would blow Jaco away, because Jaco played Jazz and that was for old people. I thought bands were cool if they looked cool and hated when bands had bald guys in them, no matter the level of talent. You'll grow out of it.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Do you have any clips of you jamming with a drummer? I'm just curious.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Funny - I think most people have actually been saying that about you..:eyebrow:

6. Some things here are part of the unwritten MetaFAQ. Wooten>God is but one. There are other things, of course, but figuring them out is part of the fun.

I have learned to take comfort in the thought of the Almighty Thumb warding off the evils of well pronounced notes and pleasing tone with a blur of clickity clack, pip pip poppity click tak tak tak. Acknowledge that you will never clickity clack, pip pip poppity click tak tak tak that fast in your miserable existance and you will have taken the first step.

7. Bruce Lindfield

I didn't think it could get worse....:meh:

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    not cool coincide and suckbird...

*closed*

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm not a huge Wooten fan, I've said it before, I loathe his solo stuff for the most part. People who suggest he only slaps should check out the Flecktones Little World's three disc set.. very diverse playing on the part of everyone. I like Wooten because of his diversity, this is just one of the many sides (the most popular) of his playing.

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Inactive

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Neither did i, now it's officially wrong not to love wooten.

How comes when it comes to solo bassists, jazz musicians, classical musicans or whatever you cant say anything bad because if you dont like it then you're too dumb to understand but it's all okay to trashtalk rockmusicians...

it's okay to say that fieldy is the crappiest bassist in the world and that he sounds like whatever... it's accepted.

And whenever you dont like somebody like wooten you have to prove that you can play better, "post some clips of yourself playing that and that song.. blablabla", what's there to prove? Can you only dislike the playing of somebody who isn't as skilled as you are?

And how comes everyone gets so upset - it's a forum, and when you're talking over the internet you do atleast dare to be honest...

11. Bruce Lindfield

No - but I think it's in poor taste to dismiss something that you clearly don't understand...:meh:

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG]

13. Suckbird

Suckbird Inactive

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I dont understand?

What's there to understand?

I thought music was about taste...

so whenever somebody says a million note just-following-patterns guitar solo is bad then i'm going to say... it's because you dont understand?

who decides when there's something to be understood or not?

i dont listen to music to recognize how complicated a song is written or in what way the song is build up and in what a strange way the chords progressions repeat or something...

music isn't about maths either... that's atleast what i thought...

14. In my experience here, you get labeled an elitest snob if you say something bad about rock players. TB is an equal oppurtunity offender.;)

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

perfect: new background.

I'm a stupid rock player, and I don't even like bass solos, I've probably heard 2 or 3 bass solos I've liked: But I love Victor's Flecktones work.

16. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    Exactly! ...and did not even say that i dislike wooten (i don`t)... i just don`t get all the fuss about him. ah well...

Do i really need to repeat myself?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunkyXL

I`m not even a week on this forum,but most of the posts i`ve seen of you Bruce gives me the idea that you think your all that and then some and only you know what music is all about

bye Bruce :mad:

17. Bruce Lindfield

Repeating something doesn't make it any more valid....:meh:

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Some people like Wooten, some don't. Some think he's great, others wonder what the fuss is about. Many fall somewhere in between.

If someone wants to dismiss him out of hand, knock yourself out. IMO it doesn't necessarily mean you don't "get it", it could just as easily be you get it and don't like it or don't find it as impressive as others do. For the people that do find it impressive, does EVERYONE not being as impressed as you take some of the shine off or what? I don't get that.

As far as all of those other slappers who can hang with Vic technique-wise, cool... bring 'em on. Clips would be nice.

One of the biggest things missing from the typical hero worship is that your hero most likely isn't everyone else's.

By the same token, has there been a recent Wooten thread where some don't feel compelled to ask the same questions over and over and over again?

I used to do a local gig about a year ago where another local bassist would show up, sit at a table with a friend of mine and complain about me. Week after week. He hated my tone, thought I should play differently since I owned so many basses, etc. I thought it was hilarious and proof I had finally "arrived"... I had my own personal hater. Sweet.

My friend thought it was funny because the guy didn't know that we were good friends AND he was buying my friend drinks:D

You don't get what the fuss is about... okay. We get that. Will writing that at every opportunity change that or is there some other motive beyond potential enlightenment? That's what I don't get. It's like the bassist version of a Sadowsky thread;). A TBer just got another Sadowsky and out come the "Is it really worth it" birds.

No, it's not. And no, Vic isn't the greatest bassist ever, despite the polls and such. You can even ignore the fact that what he does takes a serious amount of talent...EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

Is that so complicated? Face it, bottom line... everything is not meant for "you". Learning to deal with that may make dealing with things you don't know or like that much easier:D

19. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Man i had/have a few guy's like that too brad,mention my name and off they go,and like you the guy's didn't know that i was good friends with some of the people they were talking to.ever since i became more active on internet forums i have been fascinated by the practice of tearing down one person to build up another.I like vic,I see him as the logical extension of jaco+stanley+louis johnson=victor wooten.I buy the cd's and went to a show recently i guess i'm a supporter but guess what?;I don't like everything he does,didn't really like all of the last show i saw but i still appreciate what he does and has done over his career.I have other fav's but don't go"I like gary willis so vic suck"s or"marcus miller slap tone is better so vic suck's" but that's me,we all have opinions.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021