Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Dec 12, 2001.

1. this

85 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. that

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    What a great conclusion to yet another pointless thread! :D

(loved the Sadowsky analogy you made, Brad!)

2. Just thought I would pass the info... $20... it's a steal
    Plus usually they give the free poster of the show there...
    I can't make it but you guys enjoy! :crying:

3. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    SOUL CIRCUS = ONE OF THE BEST CONCERTS EVAR.

4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR, Earthquaker Devices, Focusrite
    ...and what a nice guy he was. I live in Savannah, GA and every March, they throw a music festival with a lot of top-name acts, one of them this year being Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. They played a killer show to say the least.

After the music was over, my friends and I overheard some of the staff chattering about the band coming to talk to fans after the show, so we waited along with about 20 people for what we hoped was a chance to meet the band. Sure enough (apparently they do this after all of their shows that aren't at mega-huge festivals), they came out about 15 minutes after the show ended to sign autographs and talk to fans.

I'm going to be attending the Atlanta Institute of Music starting April 3rd and since I knew that Victor had done a few clinics there before, I asked him if he planned on doing any for the year that I'll be attending the school. He said that he didn't have any planned, but then told me that he lives in Nashville and said that I should just talk to the school about trying to set one up and (provided he's not on tour) he'd be glad to do one. What a cool guy.

After that, I talked to the other 3 members of the band and got the whole band to sign my ticket.

The interesting dynamic of this meeting (which is why I felt compelled to make this thread) is that here is a man who I'm sure is idolized by some members this board and is (musically) virtually untouchable. But there he was just sitting there on the edge of the stage like any other guy who was there that night. Completely human. Completely approachable. It was a very enlightening moment because, although I (obviously) realized that he is a human being, I had only known of him through either a screen or on a sheet of paper. But there he was, in the flesh. And when I shook his hand, I truly realized that he's only human and that all any of us have to do is practice with dedication and we'll get there. :)

5. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Sounds really great. I also hope to meet him one day.

6. You know, dispite all the differing opinions of his playing, I've never once heard a bad thing about Vic as a person. Everyone who's met him on this board (there have been a few) have nothing but great things to say about him. And judging from the way he acts on his BassDay98 DVD during the Q&A, I can tell he's really a genuinely nice guy and seems like an awesome person to talk to.
    I'd love to meet him some day. The Flecktones are playing a few shows in May in NYC, so I know I'm gonna at least get to see him live. Hopefully I'll get to meet him too.

7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Met him last summer.
    Very approachable.
    Very unselfish with his knowledge too.

8. Big Victor Wooten fan here... You can really get a good feel for Victor 'the person' at his website (http://www.victorwooten.com). He posts stuff about his philosophical views on top of lots of useful musician stuff. I would love to attend Bass/Nature Camp - wife and kids and full-time job seem to make that a 'not gonna happen' thing, but still...

I Became enthralled with his playing a 6 or 7 years ago after a clinic he did with Steve Bailey. I had no prior knowledge of either of these players before the clinic OTHER then seeing the "The Day the Basses Took Over the World" video (I believe that was the title)...

Anyway, there they were, in a room full of about 75 bass players, answering questions, giving examples, explaining philosophies - wonderful guys! Down to earth, approachable, unpretentious - wonderful guys.

That vibe is what drew me to join this forum as a supporting member. I get that same vibe from many of you bass-heads here. You all seem very down-to-earth and genuinely interested in helping other bass players achieve their goals. Like Victor, people here seem to have a well-rounded perspective that is really useful and positive.

9. ^That's just the way of the bass players. I noticed that every single bassist I've ever met are all extremely nice, cool, down-to-earth, helpfull people. It's weird.

10. + 1

11. pavelx3

pavelx3

Apr 17, 2008
    Hi,
    Do you have full bass book The best of Victor Wooten? I have downloaded it from some servers. However, everetime its same. Book ends on page 53. If anybody has full version, please send me it... Really thanks!!! Have a nice day.

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    They're widely available on Amazon.com. That's where I got mine.

Link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Victor-Wooten-transcribed/dp/1575604132

13. pavelx3

pavelx3

Apr 17, 2008
    Hi,
    does anybody know video where Victor uses a Kahler tremelo?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021