victor wooten

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by claypool, Jul 2, 2002.

1. claypool

Jul 6, 2000
    Seoul Korea
    i have known this guy since i can't remember..
    i have found out lots of his techiques like open-hammer pluck, double, tripple pops, tapping..
    I have his DVD as well...

but i still don't have any clue on how to practice them.. i tried applying his techniques on some different songs..but i doesn't seem to sound right..

anyone with solid and good knowlege and tactics on his playing give me some advises on how to pracitce and ACTUALLY SOUND LIKE HIM..(I know it's impossible but..^^)
  2. Well, I'm a pretty big Wooten fan, but I think it was Michael Manring who said to copy a player's musical intentions and not their actual playing. But, I find the best way to nail a given style is through listening and transcription work. Sing along with the lines and solos. This will help the connection between the ears and fingers. After one of his concerts, I asked Victor if he ever teaches. He said no, because he is busy with recording and touring and his family. He told me that all I needed was in the conert and in his recording and that I should "go to school" on that. I took that to mean what I mentioned above.

3. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i nailed a pretty tricky tapping solo on the first shot.
    how did i do it you ask?

first i figured out the song in my head, (get some tabs if you need)

second, i sat on the ground and listened to the piece a dozen or more songs counting the notes in my head (my bass was in the other room)

second part B, while listening to the piece i wanted to learn, i pictured in my head what my hands would be doing. and i listened again and again and again.

pretty soon, i could totally imagine myself playing it without having touched my bass. i grabbed the bass, hit the amp, and nailed it on the first shot!

speed and ability come from you're mind realizing it can do it. if you can completly do it in you're head, you're hands will have no problem :)
    happy trails

4. Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    something you should probably realize is that Victor Wooten has been practicing those techniques for more than 30 years!!! So, obviously it is something he (and his hands, mind, ears, etc) feels comfortable with.
    So.. don't try to sound like him, look for your one style and that individual tone we all have through practicing Vic's and your OWN techniques.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Break down the technique(s) to their basic principles and apply those to your own ideas.
  6. Claypool-esque

Mar 18, 2002
    grrr! curses to you and your musical taste!