Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stingisanoldman, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Stingisanoldman

Aug 21, 2000
    Hey all. I heard some Victor Wooten off of Napster the other day and I think I'll have to buy some of his stuff. Problem is I don't know which album(s) to get. Any suggestions? Doesn't he play stuff with Bella Fleck?

Also, I was reading some other posts. Who is Jaco? Who is Stanley Clarke? I'm sure this is common knowledge to everyone else so I apologize.

Thanks for the help.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think the best Bela Fleck and the Flecktones records were Flight of the cosmic hippo and Live Art. I'd get the early ones first.

As for Jaco and Stanley, they were (and are) very influential bassists who burst into the scene with Weather Report and Return to Forever, respectively. if you perform a search, you'll find a lot more info.

Will C.:cool:
  3. A good flecktone's album is the greatest hits of the 20th century, and if you're looking for a good jaco album, i like his first solo album. i haven't heard victor wooten's solo cds, but i'm sure they're worth a look too!
  4. TheBassPlayer

Aug 22, 2000
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I think all the vic wooten stuff is awesome...I can't listen to it all day long though....I have to take it in small intervals...definitely check out Bela Fleck's Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest....that was my fave....Bass Extremes is pretty kewl too.....that's vic and steve bailey....pretty neato...
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Get LIVE ART by the Flecktones. It's the bomb and a great show of what wooten can do with just his hands and a bass. No Studio BS, effects, overdub. It'll blow your mind.
  7. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Just saw Wooten with Bela Fleck here in Cleveland last week. Their newest tour features an extended band, including a few "world percussion" players and a few more reed players. (Including the flyest bassoon player I've ever heard, he had that thing MIDI'd up and was playing the crap out of it...incredible...believe it or not, he stole the show from Vic...) This was the first tour that doesn't seem to feature a Wooten extended solo section, so no "Amazing Grace" etc...but, again, I would have been completely into more bassoon.

W/ Bela Fleck, I'd get "Live Art" first. For some reason, "hardcore" Bela Fleck fans seem to pan the "Left Of Cool" CD, but it's my second favorite, and features quite a bit of Victor.

Solo discs, I'd start with "What Did He Say" and then "Yin/Yang". What Did He Say has a version of Norwiegen Wood that will make you cry, and a tribute to Thelonius Monk ("The Loneliest Monk") that's pretty funny. Otiel joins him for Coltrane's "Naima". "Yin/Yang" is good 2 CD set, and "Song for Joe" (I think that's the title) itself is worth the price. There's a few sappy "isn't my new daughter so cool" tracks on it, but, just becoming a parent myself, I understand the need to brag.

"Yo, Victa" "Whatdidhesaywhatdidhesay?"

[Edited by gmstudio99 on 08-24-2000 at 12:11 PM]