Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Alla, Nov 27, 2000.

1. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Hey people
    I've just heard "Classical Thump" of Victor Wooten . Anyone knows how damn he do that thing : tapping , popping or slapping ? ... it's so fast :)
    Bye and thx
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

While I am not familiar with that particular piece, more than likely he uses all of the above techniques, and perhaps more as well.

On the really fast parts, Victor uses a double thumb slap(an up and down across the string slapping motion as opposed to striking the string downward towarsd the fingerboard), a left hand hammeron, and single, double or triple right hand plucks(pops) all in one smooth motion that is amazing to hear and even more amazing to watch(check out one of his instructional videos sometime!) and can result in some amazing speed and more articulation at these speeds than seems humanly possible, to a mere mortal such as myself.
  3. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    but it's fast like a shot gun .... hope he is human and not an alien :)
    thx the same ... I fell now like a bull**** as bassist
  4. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland

I can assure you that Victor is quite human and a very down to earth person. I met him at a clinic, and he was generous with his time and very helpful as well. When I hear players who possess skills similar to Victor's, it encourages me to play more and practice with more intensity. There is always something new to learn as well as refining existing skills.
  5. Aryn

Nov 18, 2000
    i can play the first part of it. first he just slaps the notes through, then he hits the open string and hammers on the notes right after to get that double note sound. then he does kind of a finger roll and pull thingy where you hit the note with you thumb twice down then up and then pull on the g string. it takes some practice so you can get a triplet feel. it took me awhile to do it.
    hope this helps
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Victor quotes part of Paganini's Caprice No. 1 in E in "Classical Thump." If you're up to it, you could transcribe that part from the sheet music.
  7. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Thank You to everybody . You have helped me not to feel like a .... as bassist ,now I feel more happy but not so much (especially 'cause wooten is a human and not an alien :) If he was an alien with 13 fingers then ... )
    Thank You to everybody :) (ironic)