Victor Wooten's bass camp?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Has anyone been to this? I would like to apply next year. I'm 38 but I think it would be a great experience.

What are the audition/application requirements? I asked by email but they said I would have to wait until next year to find out.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I went last year. I had to apply 3 times before I finally got in. That's the thing, they aren't trying to weed people out, they don't care how well you play or how much you know.

The application asks a bunch of questions to help give them an idea of your character, who you are..etc., then they try and mix as many different sounding people as they can together, giving preferential treatment to those who have applied more than once.

Since its inception the camp has grown tremendously. The first camp had ~50 students, with maybe 150 applications. Now they get about 600-1000 applications a year and they accept ~60. That's why they've started doing 2 camps a year. The demand is high.

It was a very very awesome week, And despite the price of the camp, all things considered, it's quite a bargain. Given that you get lessons with some amazing players, guys that charge triple digits for lesson time otherwise. Aside from that, the nature aspect is really eye-opening stuff. Jon young is a fascinating guy with lots of great stories. Additionally the activities are fun and creative, and the food is amazing.

The only downsides that I can think of right now, would be the weather; hot, humid, muggy for most days and we had a wicked rain storm for some days. And it's only a week.
  3. I went in was a pretty moving experience, I got to meet Vic, Bela, Chris McBride, Steve Bailey, Chuck Rainey, etc. (Got to talk with Chuck at length). Also I got to jam w/Jeff Coffin, Regi Wooten, and J.D. Blair. He has some guest speakers that talk about a variety of nature-related topics.

It was my 1st experience w/yoga, tai chi (sp?), and other was very cool.

If you're looking for a more straight music oriented camp, I would suggest 'Bass at the Beach' or Gerald Veasey's Bass Boot camp.
  4. battousai

Sep 3, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    I just got back from BNC 2004 and I am now a different player and a different human being. I don't have words to describe the experience. Plus, our guests this time were Gerald Veasley, Will Lee, and Stanley Clarke!
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Awesome! I'm happy for you that you got to meet some of those cats. GReat times, I can't wait for a reunion camp.
  6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks guys. It sounds like it would be great. For sure I will put my application in when next year rolls around.

7. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Hopefully I'll see you there Steve. I really want to attend this camp, and almost did this past time around.

But I can only fund so many interests in a given summer.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'd love to do it, 16, however, I can't afford it.

Even so, where is it and how much does it cost?
  9. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Held about an hour outside of Nashville Tenn. Actually, I think it is a bargin! I went last fall and the week was $600. That included lodging, classes, a week of good food, everything. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.
  10. Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    how was the food, or what kinds of food is there at the camp? (i'm a picky eater)