Victors Amazing grace?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fleafan, Sep 9, 2000.

1. I dig playing that song with harmonics exept i cant seem to find one note (maybe its because i have a 4 string and he has maybe a 5 )

anyway if you know what to play for the highest note in the song i have tried it the middle of fret 4 on the G string but it to hard

please tell me if u know thanks
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Vic plays "Amazing grace" on a 4. Probably his Yin Yang Fodera.

Will C.:cool:
  3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    The basic version of Amazing Grace can be played using all the harmonics available between the 3rd and 5th frets on a 4-string bass, at least in the way I play it. I do a rendition of it on fretless, and I tend to play the highest note of the song over the 3rd fret on the G-string.

Hope this helps!
  4. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Jazznfunk is exactly correct...he plays it on a 4 (I've seen him do it live a number of times) and the highest note is just slightly past the 3rd fret on the G 3.1 or so.

I'm not familiar with the bass you have listed in your profile, Flea...does it have just a split P-style pickup? Make sure you have the treble rolled all the way up...these harmonics are MUCH easier to hear on a J style bass with the neck pickup completely off and the bridge pickup all the way up and the treble all the way up. I usually set it up that way for the harmonic part, then turn the neck PU up just a bit to get that growly bass sound for the fretted bassline.

It's a very cool song...Victor transcribed it in one of his Bass Player columns a few years ago...

5. Joos

Apr 5, 2007
    The higest one is near the 2nd fret on the G string which victor does on the closing line of the piece. Its something like ...2.3 or so (just slightly above the fret marker)
  6. Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    keep in mind,
    victor plays the song on his fodera tenor bass strung ADGC