Victor's other albums.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, Jan 1, 2003.

1. I just purchased "A show of hands" by Victor Wooten. It's a great album. The probelem is I've heard that his other three albums are mostly elevator jazz and weather channel music, and don't live up to ASOH. Is this the harsh truth? What are your opinions. I don't want to purchase any others until I'm sure what I'm buying.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm a HUGE Victor fan(since the '70s).
    With that in mind, even I did NOT purchase his latest(Live In America?).

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Not checking out Victor's other work(solo or otherwise) may stunt your least be aware of as much of his work avalable as can't hurt.
  4. get "3 flew over the cuckoo's nest" by bela fleck and the flecktones.
    out of this world.
  5. i have "What did he say?" and "live in america" what did he say is pretty good. Live in America has a 10 minute solo on the second CD that makes it worth buying IMO. I've listed to that solo for an hour straight before
  6. i love marcus miller's track on disc 2 of live in america; "miller time". sweet.
  7. thats the one
  8. yeah, i can't get enough of that either. so great.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm a pretty big fan of vic's I have all his albums. I would have to say that of all his album Yin Yang is the most "smooth jazz" "elevator music" "modern adult contemporary" type album. But who cares!
    I tell you, I've never liked any adult contempory type music until I heard some tracks from vic.

Joseph Wooten too, the songs that he wrote(Hero and I dream in color)are beautiful
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I am a big fan of his and I love his playing but some of his writing could be better IMO. That being said if you buy his other cd's don't expect music you can sit down and listen to for the whole cd. Of his purely solo work I have A Show of Hands, What Did He Say and Live in America. I also have the Vital Tech Tones stuff which I would totally recommened. But as far as Live in America goes it has some interesting songs and some stuff I cannot stand but if you don't mind spending the money I would pick it up. But I think the Marcus Miller track is boring except for teen town. But you would have to be really bad to make teen town boring. I don't think Marcus' tone or playing is anything special on that track as anyone should be able to slap the stuff he does. Kinda standard stuff IMO. That's just me though.

Vital Tech Tones is a better purchase than any of his solo stuff though.
  11. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, i only own his "show of hands", but i've heard the others. show of hands is his best cd, imo. i have to agree that victor's compositional skills unfortunately aren't as good as his technique.

also i don't understand what is so great about
    the "miller time" track. marcus is just playing
    some of the basslines to his songs.

basssaxman: have you checked out the full band recording of marcus miller's teen town version?
    i'm not sure on which album it is, but it's great.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well of course even the most laidback reggae bass player or grungy punk bassist can slap teentown, it falls so easily to hand, just generic patterns. Next you'll be telling me that some session bassists struggle to double the drummer's pressrolls because they can't two-handed slap fast enough...

14. claypool

Jul 6, 2000
    Seoul Korea
    I would definetly recommend two recordings of Vital Tech Tones. THose two CD's will turn you mad...
  15. vital tech tones rules. vic wooten, steve smith. and scott henderson (?). my friend (who dad is pals with vic) got me thier cd. super awesome.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I just got the Vic Wooten/Steve Bailey album "Just Add Water" for Christmas, and I really dig a lot of it; more so than some of Vic's solo albums.
  17. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    hm, ok, i am tired and i don't have much time.
    please take that into account when reading my reply. i also think there have been lots of discussions about "compositional value" already.

i also think that victor's compositions are lacking.
    while i understand that you say "it's up to the listener to decide", i think most people won't argue if you say: bach'S writing is better thank blink 182.

--- now i have to go... FAST!
  18. the thing about Victor is...

He is great when he's playing songs composed by other great songwriters or when he is in a band as a sideman (i.e. VTT)

But his composition skills are friggin horrible...especially with that family band crap.

stick with VTT, Vic.
  19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Anyone who takes their bass seriously yeah..."anyone" as in anyone should have the ability to play it given they just practice it. It's not real complicated stuff.