1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

victor's style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by stefan3011, Jul 10, 2002.

1. stefan3011

stefan3011

Jul 4, 2002
    i've got a question about victor wooten's style. how does he usually play, i love his music, but i cant really tell what he does most often. i think he might mostly do slaps. if anybody knows for sure let me know, thanks. peace.

2. Nick Aron

Nick Aron

Jul 10, 2002
    Rome
    I had the fortune to see him explaining his way of slapping and i can tell you that it is the only way to understand what he does...

I'll try to explain it to you with words, but forgive my english :p

well...he said that to obtain a faster slap he tried to use his thumb like a plectrum.
    I mean (well he means :D )... when u play the guitar u use a plectrum up and down and so he does with his thumb. I mean, again, for example he slap the E string and instead of coming up with the thumb, he goes down to the A string: as if the thumb lays on the string. After this, the thumb goes up, hitting the E string "under" and not in front as usual.

this is for the slap.

after a "down-up movement" on the E string, he plays the D string (for example) two times and not one as usual...

I know it's complicated to understand what I've written, and I apologize but it's hard to explain what he does :p

just imagine the thumb that does the slap and then goes under the string to come up immediately, hitting the string from the low.
    how does he produce a slap sound in this way...? he hit, or i should say he lifts, the string with enough strenght to make it beat on the wood.

then he does the other thing.

Imagine a (Do Do)thumb (Ta Ta). he does this extremely fast and even if he play a G chord it seems that he's playin' many more notes :)

What about his music...I LOVE HIM...and..he uses a lot of slap, i think it's his better way to express what he wants to say through the bass.

I apologize again for my english. I hope that someone could explain this better than i did.

Bye ;)