Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

victor's style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by stefan3011, Jul 10, 2002.

1. stefan3011

stefan3011

Jul 4, 2002
    i've got a question about victor wooten's style. how does he usually play, i love his music, but i cant really tell what he does most often. i think he might mostly do slaps. if anybody knows for sure let me know, thanks. peace.

2. Nick Aron

Nick Aron

Jul 10, 2002
    Rome
    I had the fortune to see him explaining his way of slapping and i can tell you that it is the only way to understand what he does...

I'll try to explain it to you with words, but forgive my english :p

well...he said that to obtain a faster slap he tried to use his thumb like a plectrum.
    I mean (well he means :D )... when u play the guitar u use a plectrum up and down and so he does with his thumb. I mean, again, for example he slap the E string and instead of coming up with the thumb, he goes down to the A string: as if the thumb lays on the string. After this, the thumb goes up, hitting the E string "under" and not in front as usual.

this is for the slap.

after a "down-up movement" on the E string, he plays the D string (for example) two times and not one as usual...

I know it's complicated to understand what I've written, and I apologize but it's hard to explain what he does :p

just imagine the thumb that does the slap and then goes under the string to come up immediately, hitting the string from the low.
    how does he produce a slap sound in this way...? he hit, or i should say he lifts, the string with enough strenght to make it beat on the wood.

then he does the other thing.

Imagine a (Do Do)thumb (Ta Ta). he does this extremely fast and even if he play a G chord it seems that he's playin' many more notes :)

What about his music...I LOVE HIM...and..he uses a lot of slap, i think it's his better way to express what he wants to say through the bass.

I apologize again for my english. I hope that someone could explain this better than i did.

Bye ;)