Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Victory/Titan Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jnmhorn, Sep 12, 2005.

1. jnmhorn

jnmhorn

Jun 28, 2005
  2. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I'll pipe up because I'm still up, but about to get some sleep. Other more knowledgeable folks will chime in on this in due time. I'm currently searching for my first (sorta) upright bass.

As someone who bought (actually traded) to get a cheap Chinese bass a few years back, these deals turn out to be no good in the long run. The bass I got (Cremona) was a just green wood and strings. Never really played it. Warped and twisted from the get go. From what I've read here by searching the newbie links and general searches in the "basses" forums: When you add up all the raw materials and labor, it's just doesn't add up.

Believe me, I know how much this sucks. I still don't have an upright. I got shell-shocked after my last experience, and won't go there. Turned out I spent the money on a better BG, cabs, and a amp head. Anyway, check the links. Some people say get what you can just so you can play now. Others say it doesn't make sense to get something that will cause you to form bad habits or develope carpal tunnel problems; and then just cost you more in the long run. I've been eating my weight in Ramen noodles so I can save money fast. Always helps to chase them with a multi-vitamin :D

In any event, the bass will defintely need to be set-up properly; which may cost more than half of the current asking price.

Anyway, I'll shut up now and let someone with first hand knowledge of a decent working bass chime in.

Just my $0.02 Best of luck in your search and keep asking questions and reading. These guys know some stuff.

3. jnmhorn

jnmhorn

Jun 28, 2005
    The one that I might bid on is at $1.50 and has a $150 shipping charge. So, maybe for $150 it might be a good deal.

4. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    The link you posted is to an auction for $480+ If you can come up with that, then hold out longer and get something that will be better than wood and strings. Please, please check out this out:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50319
    I feel your pain. I've been through it. But the pain you're feelling now is nothing compared to what you'll feel if you sink $500 worth of blood, sweat, and tears into a piece of worthless furniture. Check my profile; I don't have an upright at the moment. I'm saving every bit of scratch I can. Put it somewhere you can't touch it and every time you want that extra taco, extra cheese on that pie, or another 6-pack of imported beer; reflect on how bad you want to feel those vibrations against your ribs, hands, and feet; and hear that sweet tone coming from your fingers walking up and down that neck. Whew! Sorry 'bout that!

Definitely check out this sticky http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43093
    that's at the top of the "Basses" Forum and research some basses. We all (most of us anyway) had to do this. You can always learn something here. I've learned tons just hanging around. I hope my ranting has helped and not just got on your nerves. Best of luck, and I hope someone else will come along with some more encourage.

Peace