1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vida Blue - Oteil's latest project

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DigMe, Sep 25, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just picked up the Vida Blue CD with Oteil Burbridge and Page McConnell in the 1.99 section at a music store at a nearby town. Not a bad deal!

The bass playing on this CD is somewhat understated and really just focused on simple groove (which I like but wouldn't mind hearing a little soloing as well from Oteil), nothing fancy, but the tone is really nice from Oteil's Modulus basses. Great low end. The CD has a kind of grooving space-funk feel. I don't really care for McConnell's vocals all that much though. The drummer from the Funky Meters is tight. It's definitely worth buying if you find it in the 1.99 section!!

I also got Jeff "Tain" Watts' Citizen Tain CD for 1.99 as well.

brad cook

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I like Oteil's grooving on Vida Blue.....I was getting a little burned out on the Bensonish scat solos all the time! Oteil is a great alround bassist....solos & grooves, and I enjoy hearing the grooves on Vida Blue;)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    $1.99, huh?
    I wish that's all I paid for Vida Blue...not that it's a 'bad' record, just falls into that "Once you've heard it, you've heard it" syndrome.
    That's my opinion(I played it maybe 2-3 times).

Citizen Tain is nice; I think I got that one as a freebie from Columbia House. ;)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I see it as one that I'll periodically pull out and enjoy. Like Jerry, I dig the groove and I'll definitely pull it out every now and then to soak up that nice tone! Too bad I can't get into the vocals...there's one song in particular near the end (don't have the CD handy now to see which one) that has an absolutely wretched vocal melody. I like the synth sounds though.

brad cook

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The vocals aren't ontop of my list either:D

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    just got the dvd in the mail today...the spam all-stars are with them - groovin' dvd!!!!

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I saw them play live (w/spam allstars) at bonnaroo over the summer, and the interplay between Oteil and Baptiste was pure budda. Oteil only scatted a few times, which was fine by me, but damn those grooves were tight. It was interesting to watch because during the first half of the show, with the spam cats, it seemed as if McConnell wasn't even there. He had this look on his face like "damn I'll never be more than a stale chunk of cornbread with a stupid batch of lyrics". However, with a little soul rubbed in, he wasn't all that bad.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if you go to the phish site (or live recording site), i think that have that show for sale for 9.99