Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Video/Audio Editing: External Harddrive Recommendations??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 26, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey guys,

lookin' for a networkable external harddrive. any suggestions?

been thinking about a "network" capable maxtor one touch II, but saw the LaCie.

i love the reliablity of maxtor, but how does the LaCie stuff stack up?

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    IMO LaCie kicks Maxtors but 12 ways to Sunday.

I had 2 Maxtor 250GB Firewire/USB drives and both would randomly corrupt and stop working. Several times I had to reformat the drive just to get it to work, losing everything on it (luckily I'm a backup freak...) If you get ANYTHING as far as external FW/USB type drives make sure they either have a very heavy metal case (like my current Lacie Triple Interface Big Disk Extreeme, 1 year of running 24/7 and not even a hiccup!!!) or ACTIVE FAN COOLING!!!! This was the problem with the Maxtor. It was a simple plastic case with vent holes in the sides. Nowhere near enough air movement to keep the drive cool. After the second corruption I removed the drive from the enclosure so i could connect it directly to the IDE and try some data recovery programs on it and I have NEVER felt a HD get that hot before (and I used to use the 10,000 and 15,000 RPM Chetah SCSI drives that could generate some serious heat)

If you're looking for a great system that will become standard in the near future, look into external SATA. I've got 2 sets of these things running right now ( http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_info.php/products_id/1027 ) and they are fantastic. Faster than Firewire 800, hot swappable, bare drives to add into it are relatively cheap, only $10 or so more than a similar sized IDE drive. Our Video editor uses one with 2 400 gig SATA drives on it. He keeps all his media, renders, and graphics right on them and works on his projects, and when he's done with a project he just pulls the tray. removes the drive, labels in and puts it in a static bag for storage, then puts a new drive in and starts his next project. If the old project ever comes back for changes he just sticks the drive back in the tray and slaps it in and it's like it always been sitting there on his system waiting for him. No backup tapes to wait for or anything like that. Cheap, Fast and Convienient. External SATA has it all!!!

3. Keep in mind that you're not limited to external HD's. My roomate has an enclosure/adapter that lets you run a normal internal HD through a USB port.

And along with what LaJoe said, see if you can get a SATA II (twice as fast iirc) external HD.

4. If you want to save some money, buy the HDD and the enclosure seperately. I saved myself about AUD$70 that way. Installation is pretty easy. If you are doing video editing you will probably want to use the drive with your firewire port, not your USB. Even though USB looks faster on paper, it isn't. Capturing to a USB2 drive will most likely result in dropped frames even on a good PC. Firewire allows two-way, high-speed traffic (USB doesn't) making it a much better choice for video work.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you will likely have problems running a HDD through a Firewire/IEEE1394 port if you have Win XP Service Pack 2. For 12 months I have been using an external Firewire HDD (200gb) with SP1 without hassles. I use if for video editing mostly. I installed SP2 last week and within 10 mins of running SP2 I received numerous "delayed write error" messages concerning the external HDD. WinXP managed to corrupt the Partition table and it lost everything on the drive (150gb of work). Fortunately I was able to recover it all with a file recovery program (which took 2 days) but someone less computer literate would probably have lost everything. I checked around the web, and it seems that SP2 is notorious for this error with firewire drives. Microsoft has issued a hotfix but many of the threads I found showed that people were having difficulty even obtaining the hotfix from MS. A lot of people have had this problem, and many of them found the hotfix didn't help, so they went back to SP1. I had to uninstall SP2 and a week later everything is running fine again. Just something to keep in mind if you plan on using Firewire instead of USB for you HDD.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys,

i just want something simple, yet reliable.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    If you want simple, easy, and fast, go with the LaCie, Tripple Interface, Biggest you can afford.