video -> audio interference? Computer audio gurus needed!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 11, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i really have no clue what this could be:

when i move windows, minimize things, scroll etc i can hear an audible noise corresponding to the move, like a little buzz or scratching noise. sometimes it's REALLY loud.

I have a M-Audio Delta 66 sound card w/Omni Studio front end, Studiophile speakers, and a Radeon 7500 video card with twin monitors - a nice Samsung 17" and an older Sony Trinitron 15".

Originally, i thought it was the sony monitor, because when it's first starting up it makes a pretty loud buzzing noise. but if i scroll through pages with the monitors off, it still does it.

Also, it does it regardless of whether the speaker volume knob is turned all the way off or not. but it doesn't get louder with the volume knob turned up.

I put the Delta66 as far away from the Radeon in my case as possible with no difference in this phenomenon.

As for physical setup, i have my two monitors sitting right next to each other, with both of the studiophiles about 2" from each monitor, with the omni studio sitting on top of the left studiophile monitor. i use planet waves instrument cable to go from the omnistudio to each speaker. but i really doubt that it's any kind of monitor-induced interference into the cables because it does it even with the monitors off. it also doesn't change regardless of how far i move the omnistudio front end away from the rest of my system.

It did not do this when i first got everything set up, only for the past two weeks or so.

i'm running the latest m-audio beta driver, and i have since i first got this setup.

other possibly relevant PC specs:
    Gigabyte GA7-VAXP mobo (KT400 chipset)
    AMD Athlon xp1800+ (overclocked to 1.8ghz - temps are steady at 32*C with no stability issues so i don't think that'd be it)
    512 mb ram
    300w Antec TruePower supply

any ideas? :bawl:

ps: can you tell i work tech support by my lengthy, detailed problem description? :D i suppose spending all day writing case notes for people is good for something ;)
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I have exactly the same problem with my laptop.

And I know that other people have had the same problem with laptops. I assumed it was a laptop issue.

3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah it does it on my laptop too, but i assumed that a 300+ dollar system on a nice new computer wouldn't do it :(
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    bumping this for great justice - i still haven't fixed it yet.
  5. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have a Audiophile and a PIII 800, I occasionally get this with XP and Winamp, while I scroll a window with the bar. When I use the scroll wheel it's ok.

Try moving priority to background processes:

Control Center -> System -> Advanced (?) -> Settings -> Advanced
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    if you get interference with the monitors off, its likely something unshielded correctly (likely the soundcard), or something ungrounded in the case is sending signals into speakers, such as a harddrive.... or CPU etc. (when you minimize things, it makes a sound....) the thing that could solve this most easily would be a different shielded soundcard, so as to block out all of that electrical noise

if you get the noise only with monitors on, an audible one not coming from speakers and originating from the monitor its likely caused by static electricity on the quickly changing screen (happens on laptops sometimes) and older TVs

ive had this happen before, works fine for a long time and then goes fuzzy..... i disconnected all my cabling and replaced everything

it turned out i had a wire on one of my CAT5 internet cables that wasnt in the RJ45 all the way, it didnt touch the ground... it messed up the whole shabang....

try disoconnecting everything unplugging it from the walls and put it all back together, if that doesnt help try it one more time!.... and then if the problem persists look inside of the computer.. make sure everything is screwed down and plugged in all the way...... beyond that a new soundcard could help if thats the lastT resort

i may have been confusing or rambling but.... maybe this will help
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    setting it for background processes seems to have done it so far!

if it comes back though, i'm almost thinking it's a power/ground issue. my house sucks and my computer isn't plugged into a real grounded outlet, it has one of those adapters with the ground screw...and that's SUPPOSED to be grounded but again, my apt sucks so it very well might not be. the thing that makes me wonder is how when i plug in anything to the power strip the omnistudio is it causes a pop thru the speakers. :confused:

so i guess i just have to deal until i move out this summer.