1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Video camera/software to create video lessons

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by oniman7, Mar 10, 2013.

1. As a teacher I thought it would be cool to make lessons available to my students online as part of an extra curriculum as well as attract more students.

I have a recording interface and microphone set up (finally) so audio doesn't matter to me.

I'll be looking to buy a video camera that can do HD footage. Maybe not 1080i at 60FPS or something like that, but nice enough. Something interfaceable with USB is preferred over SD but wouldn't pay more for it.

Here's an interesting catch, though: I'd like a screen on the front that I can flip around and see what the camera's seeing so I can operate it without any help and move it to props and such.

Also, software that can handle different types of files (tired of converting my .mov into .avi and losing quality while gaining a watermark) and can allow me to do two video feeds at once: two guitars, overlay tab/notation, that sort of thing. Freeware or cheap is preferred if it's out there.

Here's my channel as it is, for reference: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDakotapotts/videos?view=0&flow=grid