Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Video Card Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, May 27, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, I have a Geforce 4 something rather video card that doesn't seem to want to run any video for too long... I can play a graphics intensive game for anywhere from 5-50 min. before my screen goes black, and the power button dims as if in idle mode. If I turn my monitor off and thn back on, I either get no signal, or odd colored lines on my monitor. I have the latest drivers, and I do not believe that to be the problem... can anyone shed some light?

2. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the video card is overheating.

Is there a fan on your card's chip? If so, have you verified that it works?

That's all I can think of at the moment. You might also want to uninstall, then reinstall the latest drivers.

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

You know, I did screw with the placement of the fan.... that may have solved my problem! To be continued.....

4. You know I charge by the hour, right? ;)

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    One more thing I can say is that GF4 is not DX9 compatible - while many games nowadays require DirectX9. However, if it's a DX9 problem, you'd get the BSOD - Blue Screen of Death. The game crashes, in comes a blue screen, saying fatal exception at XXXXX (or something like that), check this and that, listing memory to disk, and then it restarts.
    The cards upwards GeForce 5200 and ATI 9200 series have DX9 support, and are getting cheaper and cheaper.

6. No BSOD in XP though. Looks like his problem was fixed, as he hasn't responded since.

7. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Nopes guys... problem still ensues! I never got any bluie screens, just a black one, similar to the hibernating function that windows has. I have just given up on video games man.... video cards are too expensive, and every time i get one off of ebay, it blows. It seems that i may been to do some research.

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I may be totally missing the mark here, but I'll try an overlooked answer anyway:

Did you turn off all auto sleep or powering down modes? Sometimes when you are playing games not using your keyboard or mouse (external controller) the computer thinks it is not in "use". I dunno, I just remember that happening to me at some point.

If you have no other answers, I would suggest doing a reformat and start over again fresh. Update to all the latest drivers and see if that works out. Oh, and play different games! Who knows, it may be just that game. If this still happens, switch to a new video card. eBay isn't exactly my first choice when looking for a new video card. Especially expensive ones. Try a mainstream place, even if you eat a few more $$$, but at least if it gives you that black screen, you can take it back and blame it on the card.

Best of luck...

-T

9. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the input! It isnt from my computer hibernating, as I use the mouse, and I have tried a few different games. I think the problem lies within the pos video card that can't handle direct x 9. man... what a bummer :crying:

10. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool. Well, at least you have come up with your own conclusion that the video card blows. Get a current video card that handles all latest software. It doesn't need to be expensive nor super high memory. Just make sure its something lots of other people use. If it doesn't work, exchange it for the same one. If it still does that, I can almost assure you something is up with your computer.

Don't give up! Once you get over this little problem, you will be back to playing games! Yeah!

Best of luck,

-T

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I think Radeon 9600s are running in the $100 range. That would be quite a bit more usable than the GF4. 9800s are even nicer but still push $200.

12. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I think I am going to go all out and get a beast of a video card for my next purchase. I would love to be able to play Doom III at full capacity!

13. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I always preferred ATI over NVIDIA. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I've always gotten good results from most of the computers I've built using ATI cards.

You want a beast? Yeah, get them RADEON higher end joints. I wouldn't suggest getting the super duper newest ones as they get old fast in this business. But get the ones that have been out for a bit and have been proven. Lots of bugs that need working out on the new ones too. And judging from certain versions of the RADEON, it is pretty much known that newer has not always necessarily been better.

Consult Tom's Hardware (www.tomshardware.com) for some awesome info.

-T

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think a better 9600 Pro or XT or a 9800 would do that just right, also it's relatively cheap, you don't need something like an X850 for that.

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

Oh yeah?

Well, I had the BSOD with XP because my old videocard didn't support DX9

16. The blue screen error is not the same thing as what was commonly referred to as the BSOD. It serves the same function as the BSOD, but that term was dropped after WinME was released. The 'new' one that XP uses is called a "Windows Stop Error."

17. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Usually when a computer shuts down by itself it's because of overheating. Either videocard, CPU or Power Supply.

If the fan is noisy on any of these items, replace the fan.

If it's not seated directly to the heatsink, then make sure you repaste, or you could burn out the device.

First response would have been my guess. Videocard fan problem.

Second, I would try changing slots. If it's agp, then you'd have to test your card in somebody else's computer. Or you could try a different video card in your computer.

Good luck.

edit: I would do those things first (change cards/slots) as it's faster to do, then reinstall windows, software, etc). Make sure to check the fans too.