Video feat. Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 19, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Here is a low quality vid featuring a fun bass solo and the fine errors of my technique----- :bassist: Also the first time using my Bass 400 with the rest of my band... just happened to be a show.

Golden West clip 08/17/05

This file is about 13MB so it might take a little while to load.

Catch this piece of visual and sonic mastery while you can, I'll probably have to move it to another (non-work!) server before too long.
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    41 views and no one has said that my tone has some Fieldy character (and that isnt a good thing!) to it, or that the guitarists should smoke some crack to liven up... I was hoping for some constructive criticism. :bag:
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    um, I guess it's ok but the tone just doesn't work. There's no... bass. Too much Fieldy. I don't want to say it, but I think the Ibanez is to blame.

I'd like to hear you guys with a nice full bass tone.
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You have clank like only Fieldy would compliment.

EQ (+10 to -10): Bass +6/7, Low Mids +1/2, Mids (whatever you need), High Mids +3/4 AT MOST, and very little treble. Treble is for slap in funk. Slap with metal like you're doing is just going to sound clanky with a lot of treble.

This is just my opinion. Anytime I hear a tone like that, it just sounds ugly, IMHO. If your bass is naturally very mid-rangy or dirty, you might want to get more of a dirty, scooped mid sound like Claypool.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought it was cool. I thought the tone being a bit tinny wasmore due to quicktime than anything else. Either way, looked like a good time and fun band to see live. I love the energy.
  6. Although I am positive his tone could use some work, I am sure that part of the blame goes to the fact that it is a video hosted on the internet. Being actually there I bet it'd of sounded better. With that said, I enjoyed your playing, you all seemed to be having a great time(especially that drummer haha).
  7. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hey thanks for the feedback. I think all the lows got lost with the camera's built in mic. I was using 2 15's! I actually had a frown looking EQ and boosted mids. Maybe its my bass or the Bass 400 is somewhat harsh sounding naturally. For my show tonight I am going to try to use a way more mid-oriented (flat EQ on the head with a frown EQ, low mids/mids boosted on the bass itself) tone and see how that works out.

The drummer puts on some great expressions during my little feature.