Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Video feat. Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 19, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Here is a low quality vid featuring a fun bass solo and the fine errors of my technique----- :bassist: Also the first time using my Bass 400 with the rest of my band... just happened to be a show.

Golden West clip 08/17/05

This file is about 13MB so it might take a little while to load.

Catch this piece of visual and sonic mastery while you can, I'll probably have to move it to another (non-work!) server before too long.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    41 views and no one has said that my tone has some Fieldy character (and that isnt a good thing!) to it, or that the guitarists should smoke some crack to liven up... I was hoping for some constructive criticism. :bag:

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    um, I guess it's ok but the tone just doesn't work. There's no... bass. Too much Fieldy. I don't want to say it, but I think the Ibanez is to blame.

I'd like to hear you guys with a nice full bass tone.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You have clank like only Fieldy would compliment.

EQ (+10 to -10): Bass +6/7, Low Mids +1/2, Mids (whatever you need), High Mids +3/4 AT MOST, and very little treble. Treble is for slap in funk. Slap with metal like you're doing is just going to sound clanky with a lot of treble.

This is just my opinion. Anytime I hear a tone like that, it just sounds ugly, IMHO. If your bass is naturally very mid-rangy or dirty, you might want to get more of a dirty, scooped mid sound like Claypool.

-Eric.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought it was cool. I thought the tone being a bit tinny wasmore due to quicktime than anything else. Either way, looked like a good time and fun band to see live. I love the energy.

6. Although I am positive his tone could use some work, I am sure that part of the blame goes to the fact that it is a video hosted on the internet. Being actually there I bet it'd of sounded better. With that said, I enjoyed your playing, you all seemed to be having a great time(especially that drummer haha).

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hey thanks for the feedback. I think all the lows got lost with the camera's built in mic. I was using 2 15's! I actually had a frown looking EQ and boosted mids. Maybe its my bass or the Bass 400 is somewhat harsh sounding naturally. For my show tonight I am going to try to use a way more mid-oriented (flat EQ on the head with a frown EQ, low mids/mids boosted on the bass itself) tone and see how that works out.

The drummer puts on some great expressions during my little feature.